Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
15,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
yes, f283 is a lsd. as a irecall its a 4:30:1 lsd diff. but the info is in the faq.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Can the spider gears be shimmed to make it not so non-lsd?I wanna change the diff oil to synthetic and clean up the cover and replace the gasket and as long as I was in there...
Im Not so sure what he is talking about here?.....?

only thing you can do to a non lsd diff to make it lock is to weld it, which isnt recomended at all. your turning radius will completely suck and the car wont handle properly.
I know this thread is kinda old (just Skimming) but I have to agree with you on the welding part, but my spare rear end which i run most of the time for MPGs is a 3.73 open diff from and '82 L type, I welded it BC I can't stand a one wheel peel and my turning radius did decrease but I didn't notice any difference in handling... Now on the down side of this mod it is very harsh on drivetrain compenents when turning slow and kind of a PITA so I really wouldn't reccomend it.:duh:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey guys the name is Michael
I got a 1984 p-type supra it was my brothers from high school I am 17 a junior in high school now.
He said I could have it if i fix it, it leaks a little oil and I changed the alt. But he said it makes a grinding noise in the rear so i put it Up on the hoist.... and first of all the under body is CLEAN!!!
but I assumed wheel bearings where bad i shook the tires they are solid no wiggling.
Then I drained dif fluid and there was metal shavings in it and it makes lots of noise in the car while driving. It is a grinding noise and a slight da da da da to it. guessing the dif is bad ?
But me being an arrogant 17 year old already bought bearings for it .. so how do i get a new dif for it? ..... is there any aftermarket ones?..... whats your guys suggestion
It has 207,000 miles on it and looks like it has 100,000 body is really clean ... but since I got the bearings i think after 207,000 miles the bearings should be changed

I assume My brother did a fair share of donuts in it back in the day and burning the tires.

Its funny cause the car gets to relive its glory days.... its like a jock who graduated high school and still wheres his Lettermans jacket but graduated in 2002. But it is sitting in the same high school parking lot it did 9 years ago. ahahaha

I have a lot of respect and passion for this old supra.... i put all new fluids in it and new headlights my brother hadn't drove it in the last 4 years and it sat in his carport.

I park it in my front lawn and turn the tires so it looks like it is on display ....ahahaha

·
Registered
15,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
depending on what the shavings are from. id get another diff, and rebuild that. your diff is prolly bad pinion bearings. the crush sleeve ends up with slack and lets the pinion move in and out, and if not kept in check itll start wiggling side to side and kill the gears.

·
Premium Member
5,677 Posts
depending on what the shavings are from. id get another diff, and rebuild that. your diff is prolly bad pinion bearings. the crush sleeve ends up with slack and lets the pinion move in and out, and if not kept in check itll start wiggling side to side and kill the gears.
I agree,totally! The last used diff I got(4.10 LSD) was $100 and it makes a little noise. Common problem is the crush sleeve.Find out what ratio you have by the VIN #.Find one on the forum.You are in Florida.PM Tanya.She is an expert and may know where a "pumpkin" is for you.+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... Next LastLast

* Jump to page:

Thread: P-type and L-type; differences in years

o Show Printable Version
o Email this Page…
o Subscribe to this Thread…
Search Thread
o
o

Advanced Search
Display
o Linear Mode
o Switch to Hybrid Mode
o Switch to Threaded Mode

06-28-2004 11:22 AM #1
Tanya
* View Profile
* View Forum Posts
* Private Message
* View Articles
* Add as Contact
* Send Email
Tanya is offline lolumad?
Send a message via AIM to Tanya Send a message via MSN to Tanya Send a message via Yahoo to Tanya

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have the 4.10.... I dont no the terminoligy of the dif or anything All I know is that drive shaft goes in spins gears and bam tires spin.

I live in good old rusty state MI!

Where exactly are pinion bearings?!?!

I am Bowing down to u guys gods of the supras! ahahaha

·
Registered
15,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I agree,totally! The last used diff I got(4.10 LSD) was $100 and it makes a little noise. Common problem is the crush sleeve.Find out what ratio you have by the VIN #.Find one on the forum.You are in Florida.PM Tanya.She is an expert and may know where a "pumpkin" is for you.+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... Next LastLast

he isnt in fl, he is in michigan acording to his location.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
The tip to put a jack on the frame rails and not the sub frame seems like a no brainer, but you'd be surprised... The bolts are m12x1.25 i believe, so if you are planning to chase the threads get one of those.

·
Premium Member
5,677 Posts
YES!!! Very helpful,indeed. I'll be doing a swap soon.Just got a 4.10 LSD.This a sticky/FAQ,right?

BTW,the stock oil pan drain plug(On my 5M) is the SAME size and threads as the diff drain and fill plugs. MUCH better hex to get a socket on and not strip out the heads of the plugs. It is a weird size. M18X 1.25...maybe.
Make your own magnetic drain plug by Shoe-Gooing a small magnet on the inside or the outside of the plugs. Why not do both?Tranny,too.
JB Weld would be more secure. I am the magnet man!
When you drain out the gear oil,the magnet WILL be fuzzy with metal particles.

Toyota puts magnets inside the tranny pan from the factory.So does G.M.
You can find a large round magnet inside the magnatron of a microwave oven like the ones that G.M. uses.
Computer hard drives have strong neodimium ones that are desirable.
I'm draining my diff,now.
[URL=http://s514.photobucket.com/user/ddd228/media/temporary_zps0ac3relu.jpg.html][/URL]

I'll go with Mobil 1 and FORD friction modifier for the lubricant.
Not Astroglide,as some one made a joke about.
Besides, it's water based and won't mix with oil,anyway.

I didn't get the Mobil 1. I got Lucas and it already has the friction modifier
in the formula! Nice.
I'll be 6 oz. short to fill the diff. DINO oil will be compatable.
I'll walk up to MY NUH KEE and get a 1/2 pint.
I'll paint it tomorrow. Probable blue. NO! White!
I have 2 magnetic drain/fill plugs ready to go.
Weird size gaskets: 18mm/11/16".

·
Whistles
1,052 Posts
Nice. I hope you like the 4.10.

William, were there pics on page one?

·
Registered
15,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Nope. Never did take pics while swapping the diff out. lol. Just separated the steps to make them easier to follow.

·
Premium Member
5,677 Posts
I have some pix of my install.
Make a platform to support the diff!
Handy tools.
http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t345/ddd228/348124ce-1254-46ca-84a4-cf3b6bf3d562_zpsyf3d0ke6.jpg~original
http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t345/ddd228/temporary_zpsafsfuf4o.jpg~original
http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t345/ddd228/temporary_zpsuvffsgfe.jpg~original
http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t345/ddd228/temporary_zpsczjumjvq.jpg~original
http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t345/ddd228/temporary_zpsi6tspniw.jpg~original

The replacement 4.10 LSD is MUCH quieter.
I did it SOLO and I am old.
"Cheap-O " H.F. jack won't go up quite far enough.
Magnet glued to the fill and drain plugs.
I added Ford friction modifier to the Kendall gear oil B-4 the install.
I had normal GL-5 oil before and around corners,it would load and unload the plates inside and the entire car would "Bam Bam".
The original differential(Type L) was non LSD.
This white one is it's 3rd one! Also,it's 3rd engine from an '85 car.

Thanks to Dave Andrew,R.I.P. 2016.

http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t345/ddd228/temporary_zps1hygj20l.jpg~original
Also a shout out to ray85p for the lengthy,time consuming, engine install help + parts!

·
Registered
12 Posts
hey guys so i have a 1985 supra p-type and i was wondering if i have lsd. I've heard that all p-types came with an lsd. sorry if i sound like an amateur. but its cause i am. i just bought the car roughly a year ago

41 - 59 of 59 Posts