Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Diff in my 85 Type L Automatic is just starting to get noisy. Not unusual as I have owned six mark IIs and they all seem to have diff noise. Some much worse than others. I'm trying to get this one nipped in the bud before it gets too loud and needs a re-build. I read a couple of times that Ford Motor Company LSD 75-90 synthetic lubricant works best in our differentials and keeps em relatively quiet. Has anyone tried it? Also I called to enquire about this product and was told all they have is "75-140". Would this be a problem in an older diff: (140,000 miles)?

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I don't know about the Ford stuff. I asked the same question a little while ago and the answer was Redline. Just changed my oil and did tranny and dif at the same time. Cut down on my tranny noise a lot. My diff was rebuilt a while ago.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I've heard the Ford gear oil being a great product several times now, but can't speak personally for it. I personally use Royal Purple for my oils and have noticed very little noise from the diff with it, but I'm sure any quality oil (like Redline) should do the job.
Make sure you get an oil with friction modifier added in (or add it yourself, they sell small bottles of the stuff at speed shops) if you have a limited slip diff, if you don't you'll have all kinds of noise and will burn up the diff pretty quickly!
as for weight, I wouldn't put a 140 weight in the rear, that's pretty thick stuff! There's way too many oils out there that'll work with the right weight to risk all that extra friction from a thicker oil...

·
Registered
999 Posts
:n00b:
Anybody know where to find a how-to on changing diff oil?
Severe distrust of local mechanics and my own mechanical ineptitude do not mix well :?
Gotta start somewhere though :roll:

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Emohawk said:
:n00b:
Anybody know where to find a how-to on changing diff oil?
Severe distrust of local mechanics and my own mechanical ineptitude do not mix well :?
Gotta start somewhere though :roll:
There are two nuts on the diff. One on the bottom and one on the top-middle of the pumpkin. Take the bottom one off and let the old drain out replace nut. Take the upper one off and using a pump or someother method fill with new fluid.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
I have been using Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Oil (75W-90, I think) in the differential and transmission. Both have about 175,000 miles on them.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Bill_Loeffler said:
I have been using Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Oil (75W-90, I think) in the differential and transmission. Both have about 175,000 miles on them.
i thought our trannys took atf?
Scott A

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Uhmmm... no....

Our W series manuals use either a GL-4 or GL-5 spec fluid, Not ATF.

PaulG, Yes you can easily a synthetic in your rear diff. Better yet, if your MKII truly is a L-Type, then this mean that you "should" have a Non-LSD rear. Which mean that you won't need to use a friction modifier. Check your rear axle code & see what it says.

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
I thought the Ford stuff was just an additive, not a premixed oil?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
[/quote]
Scott A[/quote]

The only place you should be using ATF is in the power steering system.

Back on dry land once again.
Scott

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts
Yes the Ford stuff is an additive. I use it with my Mobil1 synthetic fluid. My local Toyota dealer sold it, but don't carry it any more. I think there are not too many new Toyotas with LSDs anymore.

·
Registered
348 Posts
GM has A bottle of friction modifier additive for LSDs. It is a 2 or 4 oz bottle for about $5 at the dealers parts counter. Good stuff, I put in one bottle when I change the diff fluid upon the advice of my technical advisor.

·
Registered
43 Posts
ok, 75w-140 isn't a heavier oil, it has a different protection range...

ford 75w-140 is made for ford rear diff's with limited slip, and is made so it never needs to be changed unless it is submerged in water (this is only if it is in the differential it was made for, i'm not insinuating that it needs not be changed in our diffs) but i woudln't recomend it....it is made for those diffs and not ours

some gmc diffs also take a form of 75w-140 but with a slightly different additive package, although both oils do come premixed and aren't just an additive bottle....

speaking of additive bottles, all 3 major companies offer one (gm, ford, dodge) and they all contain a slightly different package formulated for the differentials in those specific cars, again, not recommended our ours imo

the best oil for our diffs would be a 75w-90 gl5 synthetic gear oil, however using synthetic in mine seemed to make it seep (not even leak as the level doesn't go down but the case IS slightly damp)

the oil for the tranny should be 75w-90 gl4 gear oil (synthetic is again, fine) but should be of the gl4 variety....gl4 has been surpased by gl5 but does have some applications which are not superceded, some toyota transmissions being those applications

hence, i woudln't recommend using gl5 in our tranny's, even though it *should* work, i think it was something to do with the syncro's not liking it or something to that effect

regardless, that is the oils we should be using, and using ATF or something crazy like that is just retarded, unless you are looking to ruin ur tranny, but if u wanna do that good ol' h20 might help lol

so:
tranny: 75w-90 gl4 (synthetic or no)
diff: 75w-90 gl5 (synthetic or no, don't matter here either, but make sure it has the lsd additive package (very common for synthetics, conventional doesn't always contain this))

*phew*

lol

thats all i know, if someone has another opinion or idea pipe up cuz this is just what i've heard from reading on the net and working at a lube shop and investigating this very thing....

thanks ;)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Scott A[/quote]

The only place you should be using ATF is in the power steering system.

Back on dry land once again.
Scott[/quote]

regardless, that is the oils we should be using, and using ATF or something crazy like that is just retarded, unless you are looking to ruin ur tranny, but if u wanna do that good ol' h20 might help lol
unless you have an automatic transmission then yes you do use atf. i use toyota t-IV fluid and it works great.

·
Premium Member
7,979 Posts
Early 82-83s auto trans need Type-F auto trans fluid. Later models used Dextron.

·
Premium Member
7,979 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts