Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Digi dash Question

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  MkIISuperSupra 
#1 ·
I'm doing the coversion from a 85mph digi dash to a 130mph digi dash(thanks again Leslie!) and I noticed some weird things when I took the cover off to change the millage to my correct milage(which was pretty easy actually, although I have yet to see if it actually worked.) When I had the cover of the dash off i noticed some strange black marks on the actual glass coverings that cover the speedo, gas gauge, and the temp gauge. It almost looks like the sodered wires inside had come loose on burned the glass. I haven't checked the dash in my car, but I'd like to know if anyone else has noticed these marks while working on the Digital dash? I don't want to install it if these are actually burn marks, cause having the dashboard either short out or catch on fire would be BAD! Again, I'm not sure if it's actually a problem or thats just how they were sodered but I just thought I'd check first. Thanks alot, Brian

#5 ·
weird! Its seems kind of stupid to limit a digital dash's speed. Its digital, it can output anything!

Sorry man, haven't pulled one apart yet. I will be putting some new bulbs in soon though so I'll keep an eye open for that when I'm in there.

#9 ·
82Ltype said:
Nope I mean the digi dash. The 82-83 model was limited to 85 MPH, the 84-86 was 130. I'm trying to switch it to a 130mph dash. Can anybody answer my question? B
my 83 has the 130mph when my dad originally bought it from the dealer
and this was in LATE 1982

#14 ·
So Brian,

The obvious big question here is did you get it installed and does it work? I did get your payment for shipping. Thanks a bunch. Now I just hope the thing worked. We pulled it thinking many moons ago about putting it in the red car till I found out what a pain it would be so it has just been sitting in my garage and I never had power to it so I had no idea if it worked or not.

Leslie <<<Keeping his fingers crossed for you

#15 ·
Nope Leslie, Haven't put it in yet. I hope to get around to it this sat. I'll let you know though when i do. Speaking of which, how hard is the speedo cable to detach and attach? I think thats the only big problem i'll have. I'm also gonna go by he toyota dealership tomorrow and find out the specific date for that part.B

#16 ·
Brian,

The speedo cable is a piece of cake. First time can be tricky but after that takes 5 minutes. Just remember to take the clamp on the firewall off so you can feed a few extra inches of cable into the car before you start. Makes it way easier. I can take it out and put it back now without even taking the lower dash off at all.

Leslie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.