Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In my (new to me) 85 L-type with digidash, whenever I fill the tank completely the fuel gauge always shows one bar missing from the top. Just wondering if this is the normal behavior?

EDIT: I should note that it has an aftermarket Stant gas cap. I know the manual says to use a genuine Toyota one due to a built in check valve, but not sure if this would affect the gauge?

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Don't think it would affect the reading.

As for your initial question, no it's notnormal.
I've own 2 digi cars, and both were showing all lines after fill-up. On my first one, after I had replaced the filler tube, I think I broke the little vent tube between the tank and filler tube, which prevented the fuel to reach the highest level because of trapped air. This may be your case.
But it is fairly easy to remove the fuel level sendet unit through the little opening in the trunk made for that. Then compare ohms reading from the values in the tsrm.
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK2/manual.aspx?S=BE&P=59

·
Super Moderator
8,165 Posts
Happens on all these cars over time. I'd suggest pulling the fuel sender from the tank thru the little cover in the trunk. There's a simple little sheetmetal box over the wiper circuit. You can try and clean the wiper and put it all back together. The more resistance you have the lower the gauge reads.

·
Registered
12 Posts
digidash gas gauge

In my (new to me) 85 L-type with digidash, whenever I fill the tank completely the fuel gauge always shows one bar missing from the top. Just wondering if this is the normal behavior?

EDIT: I should note that it has an aftermarket Stant gas cap. I know the manual says to use a genuine Toyota one due to a built in check valve, but not sure if this would affect the gauge?
I have an 85 but not with the digidash and my gauge only goes to about 7/8 when full

1 - 4 of 4 Posts