Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hey Norbie,

I still have the stock guage cluster from my 83' sitting in my garage. I also have my friends digi cam right now. I will take some photos of my stock guage cluster tonight (front, back, sides) and hopefully it will help you to determine if you can make the swap.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't think its straight plug and play. Having said that, I don't think it'd be that difficult to swap.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Norbie said:
Is this swap plug'n'play, or will I need to screw around with the wiring? Any info appreciated. :)
Norbie,

I think the answer in a word is NO...several in the US have tried the reverse, going from Analog to Digital and to my knowledge, (and I could easily be wrong here) no one has managed to make it work. I assume going from Digital to Analog would be no easier. I have both types of gauges in the garage if you would like me to take pics of the backs of both. It is definately not plug and play, plugs and locations do not match up, trust me, I've measured them all out. Major harness rewiring required.

sorry
Leslie

·
Registered
229 Posts
G'Day Norbie,

Does this mean you won't be fitting the Aristo gauge cluster?

- Justin
JZA-61 in progress ...

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well this kind of sucks... I was hoping it would be easy, but I should have known better! :(

The Aristo dash is "on hold" for the moment. There are a few issues in getting it to work properly and I'll tackle these eventually, but in the meantime I need to have instruments to look at while I'm driving! The digital dash is annoying which is why I was hoping the analog dash might be an easy swap. If it's going to be a fair amount of effort I think I'll abandon that idea and just wait for the Aristo dash.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't know about the Aristo guage, but with the hell I went through to rewire my Supra (Entire body rewire), I'd have to say that it shouldn't be that difficult.

All the wires should be there, or at least everything needed to get it functioning.

It will certainly require mucking around in the wires for a bit to switch everything over.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah ive had a go at swapping the dash from digi to analog norbie.

I got a RA60 celica cluster from the wreckers (Just Toyota) for $20 and to my dismay when i went to wire it up all i got was the speedo working on the analog (all the other instuments went nuts! lol) plus there were a few plugs that didnt fit right, so it was a total loss...
total bummer too.. the celica guage had 192,000kms on it... alot less then my supra's 237,000kms :p

what i should have done was chopped the connectors from the back of the celica's cluster and compaired the wiring colours, etc..

but you know im actually starting to like the digi cluster... im opting to swap it with the JZA-81 cluster when i buy the chaser half-cut for the 1JZ conversion.... w00t!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I got it all working. It wasn't that hard in the end!

- Fuel gauge: no changes so that wasn't a problem.
- Temp gauge: all Toyota temperature sensors have the same voltage range, so I just grabbed the right wire from the engine loom and it worked perfectly.
- Tacho: I had to purchase a signal booster which converts the square-wave tacho signal from the ECU into a waveform the tacho understands. There were only 4 wires to connect (+12v, gnd, signal in, signal out) so that was easy.
- Speedo: I removed the speed sensor from the Mk4 transmission and replaced it with the speedo cable from the Mk2 transmission. This made the speedo and odometer work as expected, but I needed a speed signal to keep the ECU happy! I acheived this by pulling the speedo apart and tapping into the reed switch built into the back of the unit. This provides a square wave signal (1 pulse per revolution) which I simply connected to the ECU's speed input. Hey presto, it works!

Those are the only gauges on my dash, but I imagine it would get a little more complex if you had other stuff to worry about (eg oil pressure). The warning lights were just a matter of finding the relevant wires from the engine loom (easy if you have a diagram) and connecting them to the correct pins on the dash.

Using the mechanical speedo cable means the original cruise control should still work, since it takes its speed signal from the dash. I haven't tried this yet, but I might give it a go one day. I'm not sure how it will respond to boost though!

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Congratulations on figuring that all out, Norbie. Your abilities never cease to amaze me. Now what I'd like to do is see that car of yours in the flesh...you've made an incredible machine out of it.

(and working gauges are a nice thing to have too I bet)

To think I was bitching about figuring out how to do the 85mph cluster to 130mph cluster swap - compared to what you did, my swap was really nothing! Good job! ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts