Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...I just have a quick question....
I had problems with my fuel injectors, so i removed them, and in doing so, i had to remove my distributor, and, now i marked the spot on the distributor mounting place, to where it needs to be for correct timing...
but the distributor got bumped, and moved from the place it was at when i took it out....
so ....the question,
How do i get the distributor back to the right spark plug...when i don't know what one it was on when i took it off the engine?
I don't want to have the correct timing, but have it firing the plugs other than it's supposed to...
i'm not trying to confuse anyone :p.
Thanks
-Josh

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't get "I don't want correct timing, but have it firing the plugs other than it's supposed to" but here's how to reset the distributor. Turn the engine to TDC with a breaker bar and, I think, a 19mm socket. (Line the notch up with the 0 on the timing cover.) Line up the two dots on the shaft of the distributor and slide it in. When it goes in it will rotate a little as it meshes with the gear, so make sure it stays lined up. I think the rotor pointed at about 7 o'clock when I put mine together, but my memory may be faulty. Good luck.[/quote]

·
Registered
174 Posts
also important to remember that there are 2 times when the timing mark is at 0 only one of them is when #1 is tdc , good idea to check by pulling of #1 spark plug and makeing sure it is indead at tdc, or you could play it by luck my personal favorite try and start it if it dosnt start just pull it out again rotate 180 degrees

·
Registered
138 Posts
or you can take off the exaust side valve cover and see if the #1 cam is up off the valve if it is thats the compression

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Other things to do to see if it is at TDC.

Rotate crank until timing mark is at zero.
Remove timing belt cover. Check that the dots on the cam timing sprockets line up with the dots on the rear timing case. Exhaust side dot is at about 11 o'clock, intake side is at about 1 o'clock. Then remove oil filler cap and shine a flashlight in there. You should see a hole in the cam that lines up with a hole in the cambox. IF you don't, then you need to rotate the crank another turn. If you are unsure because it's hard to see, then rotate it another turn and look again. You will know it when you see the holes line up.
For the distrib, the rotor should be pointing at number one wire connector.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts