Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just wondering if the 5spd MA67's came with neautral (clutch) safty switches from factory.

The inspection place Im at says I need to "fix" mine to pass insppection because they came from factory with them, but the MA67 manual says only the auto's had them.

Yes, no? Seamus, did you remove it at all on the blue car?

Thanks =)

Aaron

·
Super Moderator
8,366 Posts
5spd Mk2 never had them TMk, just the autos.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
As Aaron mentioned... No. Only the Automagic's have the neutral safety switch.. On the 5-speed, you can start the car in neutral w/ the clutch out (or with the car in gear, if you want to try & see your car jump forward when you start it).

Some of the later MKIII 5-speeds have a neutral safety switch, at least on the 89++'s. I know that both Chris Jensen & Keith Hart have to step on the clutch's on both of their 89's for their MKIII's to start.

Again, the MKII's (and the MKI's) don't have this feature on the 5-speeds. Have this Canadian inspection place check their information again

·
Registered
58 Posts
what is the switch that the clutch pedal engages when its depressed then?

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
It's basically another "safety switch" of sorts. If you have the Cruise Control engaged, if you just tap the clutch pedal, or depress it, it will disengage the Cruise Control, to keep the engine from over revving. And to just basically disengage the CC, like tapping the brake pedal, or hitting "cancel" (for those w/ the 82/83's. 84++ does not have a cancel switch).

·
Registered
58 Posts
ah yes, cruise control (my Ae86's don't have it). my AE86's have a similar switch for the neutral switch.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol =)

Wade T,

Lol.. no, Im not Reg Riemer :lol: Im his nephew! Next best thing!!.

Didnt you notice the "Technology is the only subsitute for cubic inches" that is also Regs trademark (used under permission btw :D)? Reg doenst really visit online forums... not his thing.

Thanks for the info though guys, now I can tell those idiots at the shop that it works just fine =) hahaha!

Aaron (Regs Nephew)

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
the way to tell is to look on the pedal bracket itself if there is a plug and should be then all you really have to do is unplug it to start the car with out pressing the clutch. i am 100% sure that all MKII's had them in 5 speed's. remember to keep it in nutral though!

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
no mkii's had the clutch safety switch, i forgot about it one time and my car drove off w/o me....my black 84 would start really easily in first gear and just drive off, luckily i was able to run it down, slippery little devil tried to get away.

·
Registered
174 Posts
lol, remote starter or something, trdmkii?

reminds me of another funny story. because of my friend's peugot's lack of a neutral saftey switch, he had managed to run himself over in his garage after wiring his new igntion switch backward and hooking up the negitive battery termanel from the front of the car... a neutral saftey switch would have saved him a hole in his wall, and his dignity... hehe :lol:

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Look on page BE-68 in the 85 TSRM. Chris E. is right on the money. The switch on the clutch pedal connects to the cruise computer, at least on the U.S. market cars. I'm not sure if other markets have a neutral safety switch on the clutch pedal?? :wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts