Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Ive tried to find out if I have LSD or not on my diff. I read trough some posts in here and tried to see if I could get anything out of number on the plate in the engine bay - no luck. Maybe I'm looking the wrong places.

My Supra is a european '84 - with no o2 sensor (if that matter).

I know that I can just do a burn out, but I would like to know "for sure" if theres LSD or not.

I couldnt find the LSD sticker on my diff neither - guess it could have fallen of within the past 20 years... ?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
The celicasupra.com FAQ has the firewall plate numbers explained. Takes you through all the numbers and letters.

-Wil

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
Jack the back of the car up and spin one tire. If the other tire spins in the same direction the car has an LSD. If the tire spins the other direction its an open diff. To check the data plate make sure you are looking at the metal tag on the firewall. On the bottom line there should be 4 set of 3 digit codes. The diff should be the 2nd in from the right. It should be something like F###. F##2 would be a non LSD difff and F##3 would be an LSD car from the factory.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks alot!! That should be plenty of things for me to find out whether or not I have LSD :)

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I would be more inclined to check the firewall plate... Jacking the car up and spinning the tire works great BUT if your LSD is worn out, it will be have just like an open diff...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yahooo!! I have LSD :)

According to the plate... it says Fxx3 8)

·
Registered
794 Posts
dohc82 said:
The celicasupra.com FAQ has the firewall plate numbers explained. Takes you through all the numbers and letters.

-Wil
Ok, I know I have seen it before but I cant for the life of me find it now!

Anyone got the direct link for it?

THanx

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
funny thing about my 85 is it passes the burnout test but not the spinning of the wheels off the ground, i have 2 ptype supras 85 running and 84 dead i have the hood off the 84 and was getting some charcol from the garage and decided to take a peak it says f283 so that means from the cs.com code list that i have a 7.5" 4.30 lsd...cool haven't checked the 85's did most 84 and 85 manuals have the 4.30's?

·
Registered
53 Posts
yeh mine too
i have an lsd, as said on the plate in teh engine bay, and the sticker on the diff housing.
it does two tire burnouts, but when jacked up it spins wheels on opposite directions...

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
heres an easier way, I'm pretty sure all ptypes had lsds. Don't think I've ever seen one that didn't. It was optional on the Ltypes though.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
My 83 also passes the burnout test and leaves 2 black marks, but on the jacked up test it fails as one spins opposite the other. As a result, I'm not a big believer in the jacked up test.

In any case, the burnout test is the only one that REALLY matters to me!! :lol:

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
The easiest way to find out if the diff is a LSD is to look at the diff. There is a little sticker on it that says...yup you guessed it...LSD. :p

Both my diffs have that sticker...thats the easiest way. after that look at the #'s.

Later
Mark

1 - 16 of 16 Posts