Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks, I have an 84 JDM 5mge just put into a 82 P Type 5 speed. And I've learned from you guys the M/T or A/T on the ECU doesn't matter in order to work. But that you should make sure its the same year? I noticed the new ECU I have says A/T with 15 in bold #'s under it. And it has 3 plug locations with 10P, 18P, and a larger 24P. But I dont' have one that fits in the larger 24P. Also with 1 extra set of 3 connector wires from the harness that happens to be the smallest bunch. Too small for the 24P inlet. Maybe I don't use 24P with the 84harness? Am I on the wrong track? :?:

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
What is the Part Number on the ECU???

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
part number

The part number on the ECU is 89661-22090 and below it has another number 175000-0291-12V. :D

·
Super Moderator
10,626 Posts
auto and manual ecus are different. Not sure exactly whats the difference though, fuel maps maybe?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
DannyG said:
Hello folks, I have an 84 JDM 5mge just put into a 82 P Type. And I've learned from you guys the M/T or A/T on the ECU doesn't matter. But that you should make sure its the same year? I noticed the new ECU I have says A/T with 15 in bold #'s under it. And it has 3 plug locations with 10P, 18P, and a larger 24P. But I dont' have one that fits in the larger 24P. Also with and extra set of wires from the harness. Am I on the wrong track? :?:
I was just looking at a 82 MK2 and it has a totally different engine wiring harness from the 1985 wiring harness... I have seen a 82 ECU and it only has 2 connectors going through not like the 83-86 which has the 3 connectors on it....

I have used a 84 Auto, 85 Auto, and 85 5spd on a 1985 automatic car with the same harness and it has no difference.

Correct me if I am wrong... the 82 has a different computer set-up than the 83-86 MK2... first of all it runs a vacuum advance distributor, secondly... it has no AIC valve like the 83-86 but uses a AIC valve like a mecanical type... and the AFM is a totally different piece.

JAY

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
also AFM and igniter

I made sure to also swap the 84 AFM and IGNITER too. Exept kept the 82 5mge's alternator do to the wire clip difference. Sounds like it may work. Any more opinions/answers/suggestions>? :?: :idea:

·
Premium Member
8,430 Posts
Re: part number

DannyG said:
The part number on the ECU is 89661-22090 and below it has another number 175000-0291-12V. :D
Danny the part # above is for a 85/6 Auto ECU, 89661-22080 is for 85/6 Manual ECU covers 8408-8512 MA61

8108-8208 MA61 Manual EFI Computer #89561-14130
8108-8208 MA61 Auto EFI Computer #89561-14120

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
So.... This should also mean......

Even if you can get this ECU to work w/ your existing wiring harness (the 82 wiring harness definitely needs to be swapped out for a 84 harness), the 85 Auto ECU will still work, but you will also be getting a Check Engine light on your dash. The 85 ECU is also going to be looking for a knock sensor, which the 84 motor does not have. Unless you install one (the 84 motor does have the fitting on the engine block for a knock sensor).

Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
knock sensor

You guys are cool 8) fellas. I will look on my 82 motor to see if it has a knock sensor on it. I do have the 84 harness w/84 motor, but having some wiring issues on that.(HARNESS & STARTER?s)in ENGINE

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Your 82 motor should not have a knock sensor on it, unless someone added it on for some reason. 82 motors also do not have a knock sensor fitting on the side of the block, you would have to JB weld it on.

First year of the knock sensors was on the 85 motors.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
85 ecu

I kind of thought the knock sensor would be on the 85+ since the ECU is an 85AUTO. A mig welder is one of my next tools. Maybe that'll work.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
82 dashes don't have a check engine light, so it won't distract you.

Check engine only came on the 83-86 clusters. If you swap in a newer cluster to get the 130 MPH speedo, then you will have a check engine light, but I believe you would need to swap the entire under dash harness for it to work. Very big job....

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ECU

I THINK IT MIGHT ME BETTER TO FIND AN 84 ECU? MAYBE I'LL KEEP THE 85MPH CLUSTER TILL I SAVE A GOOD AMOUNT$$ TO DO A 7MGTE SWAP. THATS WHAT I'M REALLY LOOKIN FORWARD TO MOST.

AS LONG AS I SEE NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT, I'M COOL WITH THAT. :D
FOR NOW :twisted: then 400hp w/130mhp cluster here we come :!:

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
If you have the 84 ignitor,AFM,harness,and the 85 ecu,the car should run.The problem you may have,as I recall,is one plug on the harness,that goes to the dash harness,right next to the ECU,will be different.
Considering I cut this wire off,the mkII harness to wire up 7mgte's,and 83 is different than 84-6,your 82 will be also.
HTH

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I just re-read my last post and see I wasn't very clear... Sorry about that.

Swapping in the 130 MPH speedo is no big deal. Plug-n-play. I've done it on a friend's 82. Takes about an hour or so.

What I meant to say was that the check engine light on the 130 MPH cluster may not work unless you change all the under dash wiring harness. If you don't care about the check engine light working (which you don't because it would be on all the time in your case) then you don't need to swap the under dash wiring.

Hope that makes it clearer.

By the way, if you decide that you need an 84 ECU, I think a local club member has one available for sale from his parts car. I'll be seeing him Friday and can ask him what he wants for it then.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey thanks Dean :lol: , yeah I also found a deal from one of you guys, an 84 ECU for $40. But ended up getting an 85 ECU for $40, plus dash, sunroof motor and nice door panels at one good deal.

I wish I would of known this little difference because I do want that 130 mph cluster w/out the check engine light on always. Glad to know about the under harness to get rid of that CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. Or just add a knock sensor an keep my 85 ECU :idea: I don't think I mind doing that. I wonder how much for one of those :?:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
tricks

I think getting the under harness(piece) as well as that 130mph cluster at one shot might do the trick :idea: And later might just get an 84 ECU over a knock sensor. :? to rid that check engine light.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts