Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i know its not a actual supra but my 83 celicaXX needs help :? , my 83 has a 1g-geu that was running sweet up until a cpl ov weeks ago, now I think it has a fuel problem, it idles fine but when you give it some gas it basically dies above 3000 and if you plant it it'l go back to a nasty idle, ive changed my fuel filter and checked my injectors and pressure release valve, all good so its probably an ecu problem or mayb one ov the sensors any help much appreciated. :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
I would suspect your throttle position sensor before I would the ECU. I have had a TPS die and it dosen't just stop, it just starts to send strange data to the ECU and causes the engine to do wierd things (stutters, surges, uneven throttle response, etc).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm, thanks but diddnt work :(
Sometimes it happens allot worse than others eg it'l start missing and cutting out at 2000 and sometimes i can make it to 4000 with no problem, and computers are either on or off so missing should be consistent, so im starting to think it might be something mechanical
but I dont know what the hell im on about :? so if u guys have any other ideas plz tell

·
Registered
793 Posts
possibly a leak in the intake system? Maybe the AFM is going bad? Possibly cracked plastic cover on the AFM? Uhhh, what else? Oh, maybe a failing ignition system? Coil takin' a crap?
Why not pull the code on the computer to see what it thinks is wrong? And if it doesn't have anything stored (I highly doubt that though), pull the stop fuse to reset the ecu and see if it runs better.
That's all I gots....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I h8 to sound like a dumbass :roll: but how do I (pull the code on the computer) and if I do how do I know what code means what ??

·
Registered
290 Posts
That kinda sounds like what happened when my fuel pump was badly plugged and dieing. If i would floor it, it would choke and stumble and the warmer the weather got the lower the engine would cut out. If you have an external fuel pump(my 83 supra does) there is a prefilter on the intake side of the pump. Check and see if it is plugged with gunk. If it is you can clean it and put it back in but I would also suggest dropping the fuel tank and cleaning it out.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Yes, it does sound like you may have a problem with your fuel pump going bad or a restriction in your fuel supply somewhere, or both. If your ECU indicates that all is well after checking for trouble codes then check your fuel delivery system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts