Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so, i had a mechanic look over my 5m. he said its trashed complete rebuild is needed. so i have the option of a 302 V8 and C4 trans. has anyone done this? notes to share? will the rearend hold up to the horsepower? this is a mid 70's mustang setup with cam,highrise intake, and carb. interals bore and stroke i am not sure of. if i had to guess it i would say its pushing 300hp easy. i drove the car the engine is out of, fried the tires quick.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
The rear end should be good for that much hp...There are people running more than that here with stock rear end.

As for that motor, idk if anyone here has done it. I know there is one guy who was funning a ford v8, I just dont know if it was a 302 or 351, I cant remember.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have done a search with not much luck. and this was shoehorned into a nissan hardbody almost a scary ride. but after bambi jumped out in front of it the body went to the junkyard. and my friend lost his job so he offered me the engine and trans cheap. i prefer GM V8 power but the price is good plus the use of his shop and help so it could be in progress in a week.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what can be worse then being told your supra has inoperable engine failure. that to revive it needs a transplant. it would be nice to stay with a toyota power plant but to get the same hp would cost a good chunk of change. so i am looking at creating a toyforda mkii supra.

·
Registered
456 Posts
ok so, i had a mechanic look over my 5m. he said its trashed complete rebuild is needed. so i have the option of a 302 V8 and C4 trans. has anyone done this? notes to share? will the rearend hold up to the horsepower? this is a mid 70's mustang setup with cam,highrise intake, and carb. interals bore and stroke i am not sure of. if i had to guess it i would say its pushing 300hp easy. i drove the car the engine is out of, fried the tires quick.
http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=41993
he has a ford rear end in it though...
car is more custom than stock...

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
^^ thats the one I was refering too... I just couldnt remember his name.

I think if done with a little more cleanliness, better engine painting (im really one for awesome engine paint jobs), neatness/tucking, it would look/be an awesome swap.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for finding that one. not sure how i missed it. good thread on the swap and no wiring headaches thats a plus. looks like the one guy is selling his car bummer. as for the engine paint i don't think i would go with ford blue in my terra cotta engine bay. a nice aluminum cast paint or black. although if im going to commit crimes against nature and toss in a ford engine whats stopping me from a coat of chevy orange on the block. might be a closer match and a chrome dress kit may need to be priced out.

·
Registered
456 Posts
man if your worried more about what color to paint your engine, than fabricating a whole rear cradle for the ford axle, than your a better man than I!!!
but if your going to use the supra rear end, it just looks like a bit of work to get things wedged in the front end, and some trick drive shaft work...
either way, ill be watching this!

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
why do you want to put a Ford or Chevy engine in a TOYOTA SUPRA , never like the idea to mix american engines in a japanese chassis, just because is easy? just because u just need 4 wires? if u want to do that, u should buy a mustang

is just my opinion, not trying to insult you, is just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
456 Posts
why do you want to put a Ford or Chevy engine in a TOYOTA SUPRA , never like the idea to mix american engines in a japanese chassis, just because is easy? just because u just need 4 wires? if u want to do that, u should buy a mustang

is just my opinion, not trying to insult you, is just my 2 cents.
what cam options are out there for a 5mge? 7mgte? 1uz? 1jz? 2jz?
i betcha if you add them up you wont even reach half the options out there for a small block chevy.

How much would it cost you to build a reliable 400hp 1jz, now how about a ford 302?

seems to me what you fail to see is he has the supra already and is looking for the most bang for the buck to swap into it.. Right now he has the option of picking up a ford drive train very cheap.

I doubt If he sold his supra right now with a bum drive train there is no way he would come any were close to getting enough money to buy a mustang in simmular condition....

that and mustangs look like shit. :laugh:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok maybe i need to give a little back ground on myself. i am 37 married with 6 kids my wife is a stay at home mom i work two jobs. i am a painter and have been to body school. i have had several hot rod in the past. i picked this car up for $350 the guy had lost his job and was honest about what was wrong with it so i didnt haggle on the price. i think i will use the supra rearend. we have a good driveshaft shop here, thats all they do. i have a shop with all the tools i need. i have a friend that owes me money trading a 302 C4 from mid 70 mustang. so time and a small investment of cash gives me a 300-400hp beast.

·
Registered
456 Posts
ok maybe i need to give a little back ground on myself. i am 37 married with 6 kids my wife is a stay at home mom i work two jobs. i am a painter and have been to body school. i have had several hot rod in the past. i picked this car up for $350 the guy had lost his job and was honest about what was wrong with it so i didnt haggle on the price. i think i will use the supra rearend. we have a good driveshaft shop here, thats all they do. i have a shop with all the tools i need. i have a friend that owes me money trading a 302 C4 from mid 70 mustang. so time and a small investment of cash gives me a 300-400hp beast.
want a live-in helper, extra woman around the house (hands off my wife, i keep my hands off yours) and a boston terrior ?
serriously sounds like paradise to me!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ya know there is a wide spot in the road to the southwest of me pop.200 give or take, called paradise montana. i dont have much room at my house what with all the kids. but i welcome anyone comming this way for a vacation to look me up send me a pm i would be happy to show you around our little valley. good fishing,hunting, glacier park to the north for hiking mtn. bikeing, skiing two nice resorts in a 20 mile radious of my house. bring your supra well have a good time.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts