Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
POTATO
17,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have two mk2s, neither one w/ a decent interior- seatwise anyway, so I'm thinking about getting my own material. My Blackpra has grey leather seats that are pretty torn, the Blupra has blue, striped cloth interior, and if I can't get those to look decent cleaning wise, I was thinking about crushed velvet. It prolly sounds "girly" :roll: but I was interested in doing it ever since seeing a friends Sunbird w/ a bit of velvet. My Silpra I had tried to dye the grey tweed seats black, and that was a horrible mistake. This time I'm going for the "make your own seat covers" type of deal. I also intend on covering the grey vinyl in the door and rear panels with the crushed velvet. I'm just having a horrible time deciding the colors. I don't know if I want the car repainted black, w/ black velvet or the Night Blue color that turns purple w/ like a violet velvet. Damn me being an indecisive Virgo :x

Tanya

·
Founding Member
6,423 Posts
If you know how to sew and have a machine that'll handle upholstery material, then go for it. If you've never done it before, you might want to figure on extra fabric so you can practice and do over a couple times if necessary. Can't say I'd personally choose velvet but its your car and whatever makes it appealling to you is whats important. Personally my favorite thing about car hobbies is the rod and custom shows and seeing all the imagination, artistry and hard work that go into personalizing peoples rides. I've even sometimes found myself mesmerized by cars that were distasteful just because they were so unique and I wanted to figure out how they did whatever they did. Also, don't worry about it being "girly". You've probably got an advantage in that you'll think of things noone else in this male-dominated hobby would ever think of (or have the balls to show up with :shocked!: :ghey: ). So no matter what people say about your ideas, just put on some Elvis and start sewing. 8)

Phil D.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Its not that hard to sew a new interior, i ripped up my old seats and used it as guides to make the new seats, from scrap leather i have coloured and sewed together.

·
POTATO
17,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh wow, that looks really neat!
I think I'm just going to try it the lazy persons way and just sew over the old material if possible. And about being girly, I think light, bright colors suck, and it's not like I'm sewing sequins into it either, blech
I'd like to actually figure out a way to sew "Celica Supra" in the seats in Japanese...hmmm

·
Registered
310 Posts
Wow that looks like a good clean job there Borlax. Good job. :thumbup:
This give me an idea on how to restore my seats.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
go for it, and post pics :)

im fortunate in that my whole interior is pretty mint... makes it tough to tear it up trying to rebuild it, lol.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Tanya,

For the door and rear panels, here's a time-saving idea for you.

1982 and 1983 L-types came with a crushed velour interior. Seats and door panels were crushed velour. I'm pretty sure that the black 83 L-type (and maybe the black 82 L-type as well) came with black crushed velour door panels. I have a complete set in my garage, but when I got them a couple of years ago the seller wasn't too sure of the year of car they came out of. Probably 83 though. Seats are all black velour as well, just too bad they are L-type instead of P-type seats. :(
Sorry they are not for sale. I'm working toward getting a completely black (without stripes) interior for a Mk2 someday.

So, check the junkyards for black L-types and see what you find.

·
POTATO
17,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
heh, thanks but mk2s in junkyards are very rare here, and the very few I do find the interiors are already gone or wasted. So it's pretty much up to myself to custom it b/c I doubt anyone has a parts car L-type w/ a good interior and the right color. I also have someone looking for an all black leather interior for me, we'll see how that goes, if not, back to plan #1

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wow Borlax, that looks awesome. I was thinking of driving down to Tijuana to get my whole interior redone for around $500 but seeing how well your seats came out, I think I'm gonna simply ask my best friend's mom to sew me some new seats. She's a seamstress and I never even thought about that being an option. Do you have more pictures or a tutorial site or something? I'd like to know more, so I can show her, she speaks very little english, it'd be best to show her pictures 8)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts