Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My supra doesn't idle smoothly. It jumps around 500-700rpm and sometimes stutters while accelerating.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Well, let's start with the basics. Have you checked/replaced:

Plugs
Plug wires
Rotor
Distributor cap
Engine timing (check and set )
air filter
fuel filter

Please let me know what you have done, and I will see what I can offer you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Having roughly the same problem...

I recently resealed my engine, had major oil leaks. After getting it back together with new fuel filter, air filter, plugs, cap, and rotor button. My idle is not smooth either. It surges between 500 and 2000 rpms. I have checked the setting of the cam gears, crank, and distributor. I believe the plugs to be gaped correctly. Been a few weeks since I gaped them but believe it was .44. The other day when I tried to start it it would idle smooth, but not rev up at all. So the next chance I had I went ahead and "re-aligned" the timing marks and came up with the surge. I cannot check the timing because of the surging...any suggestions?

(Edited to add a thought.)
Was reading another post and thought of something...if my O2 sensor accidentally got some paint on it would that have the same effect? I painted my manifold with high heat paint and may have gotten some paint on the inside before I thought about the O2 sensor....

·
Registered
792 Posts
pull the code from the ecu, that should tell you if your O2 sensor is bad, as well as a few other things.
It could also be your tps, but I'm thinking it is a combination of things. Tps, timing and vacuum leak comes to mind...
Chris

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My engine was completely rebuilt about 5000miles ago. And now the idle problem has grown to where it feels like there is no power in the higher rpm's and it seems to be cutting out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Flyin' Hawaiian said:
pull the code from the ecu, that should tell you if your O2 sensor is bad, as well as a few other things.
It could also be your tps, but I'm thinking it is a combination of things. Tps, timing and vacuum leak comes to mind...
Chris
I feel really stupid that I didn't think to pull the code...DUH me! :oops: I've thought about, but haven't had time to check, a vacuum leak. And the TPS hasn't crossed my mind sinse it wasn't touched...I will check the codes and see what I get. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mine has a test connector near the coil/ignighter that i'm supposed to "short" to get codes/time the engine.

Edited for added info...
It's a two wire connector, yellow in color with a black rubber cap on it.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
A bad TPS or one that's out of adjustment can definitely cause a surging problem. Is the check engine light coming On? Other things that come to mind are vacuum leaks and possible low fuel pressure due to a clogged fuel filter or weak fuel pump.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts