Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, here I go trying to share more autox videos of my 1jz Supra, in SCCA Street Modified class.

Last weekend, about 75.5 secs, some in 3rd gear, fast sweeping right hander, lots of fun. Crazy long slaloms!

Don L.

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a video of Karlton's run. He is about 2.5 secs faster than me. A bit more.....ahem, aggressive driving style! This is at least in the ballpark for nationally competitive speed.

Dylan: yes, you are right, lots of noise from the rear of the car. 315 race tires in rear, OS Giken LSD with aggressive lockup, we can seriously feel and hear the rear diff as it locks and unlocks (from on throttle, off throttle). I would prefer a quiet working diff, but both my Kaaz and the OSG, set up to be strong lockup, 1.5 way, are noisy as hell. Truly, they sound like something is going to break, at any time. (which it has!).

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is that a short shifter?
Yes, one of the JK short shifters, aka from Raptor Racing now. Looking more at the videos, reminds me I need to replace my E.S. motor mounts. I think the right side unit (passenger side) is failing. Just got new ones delivered, so a fix will be coming soon. That motor has a bunch of torque twisting power.

Don L.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Is that the stock turning ratio? Great vids, really enjoyed em. I like the plank of wood you use to prop the hood. I think i'm going to drill a hole in some non working stock struts and tether a cotter pin in the area to hold it up without having to use a board or something. The working struts i was using actually bowed up the sides a bit because the cf hood is so flexy. And are those uncracked defrost vents on a race car? Rubbin it in all around with that sweet ride :p

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, thanks! Using the T3 steering arms, so a bit quicker steering. Someday will figure a nicer hood prop, but the wood works pretty well :)

The dash is original and uncracked because of its coddled life in a garage, till I started autoxing and modding it 16 yrs ago. Yup, I took what could still be a nice orig car, mutated it into the hulk. Some regrets, for sure!

Hard to use any kind of charged gas struts for the cf hoods, maybe you have a good idea with the discharged struts!

Don L.

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That engine sounds beautiful! Are you heading to Lincoln again this year?
Yup, Street Mod runs thurs/Friday. I should be there late Tuesday afternoon. Some practice runs on weds, and fun starts Thursday!

Don L.

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
this car looks like a monster. great job...looks like you are having fun
Thanks! As long as the car holds up mechanically, it is a blast to drive. The 1jz is pretty responsive, gearing is pretty flexible, the suspension is getting more dialed in, got some new aero to test this weekend. I miss having a beautiful car to drive around the town, but its become a dedicated race car.

Don L.

·
Registered
514 Posts
The videos make me smile.

Nice course setup! Not too often you can get into third thru a sweeper. It seems we all have that same pre-race "neutral flicking" habit. Ha! Shake it more than twice, you're just playn' with it!

Wow Don, heading up to finals this year? Good luck up there, and have a blast. Keep us posted.

I'm signed up for a hill climb next month, hoping to get some good footage for you guys.

--Sam.

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like no more autox for me till SCCA Nats first week of September in Lincoln, NE. Just checking over the car for the next few weeks, change some fluids, find where all the loose nuts are hiding on the car :)

Planning for more videos at this years Nats. Hoping for a good showing. Its always such a crazy fast group, but we are going for it!

Don L.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Looks like no more autox for me till SCCA Nats first week of September in Lincoln, NE. Just checking over the car for the next few weeks, change some fluids, find where all the loose nuts are hiding on the car :)

Planning for more videos at this years Nats. Hoping for a good showing. Its always such a crazy fast group, but we are going for it!

Don L.
Make sure to look me up. I will be paddocked on chiefs row in the middle with the Corolla.

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Brian, I think we will be just a few rows away. Will look for ya. Can't miss us, the fastest Mk2 Supra at Nats! :)

Don L.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts