Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don's Carbon Fiber Hood Ordering Info

45K views 213 replies 36 participants last post by  Funkycheeze 
#1 · (Edited)

These are the directions for purchasing a Carbon Fiber Hood, manufactured here in USA by ADVAN CARBON, working collectively with myself to get the design and molds created. This limited group buy will only be for 10 units. I have no current plans to coordinate the purchases of in excess of the 10.
If however, there is a significant number of buyers after the initial 10 units are sold, I will consider discussing pricing with ADVAN and try to assist. NOTE** GROUP BUY LIMIT EXTENDED TO 20 UNITS.

Pricing is $490 for the basic CF hood. Buyer can discuss optional accessories and such with ADVAN after placing initial deposit with me. Such added items such as vents are added to the basic hood after the hood is made, a retrofit thing.

This is the info I will need when I accept a deposit payment:

Buyer Name:

Address:

ph# and email

Whether you want the windshield sprayer holes drilled. The sprayer bump will be there regardless.

Shipping will be direct from ADVAN CARBON in S.Calif, cost of shipping will be quoted by ADVAN. I believe shipping in the 48 states is in the neighborhood of $150 but that is just an estimate by me, and not a binding offer. Shipping international will require more info provided to ADVAN, and of course costs will be higher to ship. I understand that they may be able to fit 2 hoods into a box, so for example if you are in Canada, and there are several buyers in an area, it could save a ton on shipping to ship together. I heard it is also cheaper to ship to a business, vs an individual residence. Sounds like something maybe George at Raptor could get involved in (Hi George!).

Reminder that for this group buy, all purchases will be coordinated by me. So calling ADVAN directly to order a hood will not get you a CF hood for this price, maybe for $699, and probably later too.

So if you have ever wanted a Carbon Fiber Hood, at a great price, don't miss out on this. Just because a mold currently exists, doesn't mean they will keep it available for unlimited years. Much may depend on demand/sales.

The CF Hood is carbon fiber on the top skin (really nice quality), and a fiberglass skeleton on the underside for support. It has a integrated tapped set of mounting holes (metal) for he factory hood hinges using factory bolts (very nice fit). Has a metal hood latch rod in front of hood to work with the factory latch mechanism. There are no options in color presently. Approx weight is 22 lbs. (my bathroom scale measured it closer to 20 lbs). Factory hood I have measured at approx 47 lbs.

It is recommended to utilize hood pins with this hood. Although the hood is very rigid, quite strong, I personally would run 2 Aerolatch or similar type hood pin/latch devices in the front area, in addition to using the factory latch. To each his own, but that's my suggestion. See the Advan Carbon website for
more info:

http://www.advancarbon.com/#/item/advan_carbon_oem_1982-1985_supra_carbon_hood/

For those of you that haven't seen the many pictures from our testing fitting meet at ADVAN on 12-15-12, check out the thread:

http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/s...F-Hood-Test-Fitting-and-Supra-Meet-in-S-Calif

Ok, money stuff:

I will keep a list of official buyers on this posting. To get on the list, PM me or email me all the info I requested above, I will provide you my Paypal info, and once I have the deposit payment, your name is on the list, in order of arriving deposits. Please let me know if you want more than 1 hood in the order.
With Xmas rapidly approaching, it may slow production a bit, but my estimate is that ADVAN may be able to make 2-3 per week, approx. They actually are already making the next few hoods now.

Deposit payment to me: $265 paypal preferred, cash is ok too :) PM OR EMAIL ME FOR MY PAYPAL ADDRESS ***

Final payment will be to ADVAN : $225 plus any taxes, shipping costs.

You or I can cancel the order if after 45 days from the time deposit is submitted, no CF Hood is available. I will try to reseaonable, but some things aren't in my control. Deposit will be fully refunded. I don't intend to keep buyers hanging. My contact info:

Don L.

email: toy4speed@yahoo.com
or PM me, either method is fine. This email is for info/questions, NOT for Paypal .

I probably forgot to mention something, so just ask if any questions!

THE OFFICIAL BUYERS LIST:

1. Dave S. (daves2jzgte)

2. David H. (4SFED)

3. Rusty (kmfdmk)

4. Karl S. (kdsii)

5. David H. (discoelk)

6. George (Raptor)

7. G

8. G

9. Dustin F. (8055m4n)

10. Victor S. (broken wheels)

THE SECOND GROUP:

11. Tim M. (mcdade7)

12. Mike R.

13. Chad L.

14. Chad L

15. Ryan S. (funky cheese)

16. Mike A.

17. Mike A.

18. Jason O. (virus) requested position.

19. Cam W. (canadian psyko) (requested position)

20. Tanya (requested position)

See less See more
#5 ·
See the link above for ADVAN CARBON, give Don a call or email ask for an estimate for shipping the hood to Hawaii. He is a good guy, pretty busy, but he will give you straight info. That way you have an ideal of your total cost.

Those of you outside of the 48 states, email ADVAN if you need an idea of shipping costs. I am pretty clueless about shipping these large objects. ADVAN of course ships this size all day.

Don't wait too long though.....

Don L.

#7 ·
Haha, ok Rusty :) Nothing wrong with hoarding, I have two myself, although one is just a top skin with no bracing underside. It will be my ultralight race hood.

Thanks for the offer though! I will hopefully be able to keep (most) people happy.

Don L.

#17 ·
someone has to hoard for the canucks! :laugh: :laugh:

- I think we all understand where you are coming from. (and that was my point - I'll buy a second one to make this happen, but I won't buy a second one to step in front of someone else who wants one :) - your two local friends count!)

#26 ·
Hey Guys, long day at work till tonight, won't be able to update the list till I get home.
Although we have hit the 10 limit (thanks all), I am trying to have that extend up.
Thise who have sent deposits, not to worry, all is good. Those still looking to order the hood continue to PM me or email, as soon as I get ok for more at this price I will give you my paypal info, dang....the first 10 went fast!

#27 ·
Crap! Hopefully you can get some more spots. I am willing to wait a few months, won't be driving the car until mid May anyways.

#29 ·
Big thanks to EVERYONE for the quick support, and kind words. I am in awe of how fast the first 10 sold. From the time I went to bed, to this morning, and they were gone! I was happy for the strong support, but at the same time a bit sad that many of the folks I had talked to didn't get a chance to purchase. Never was my intent to purposefully exclude anyone, but for my own financial reasons, had to set and agree to a initial limit. Keep in mind that I already paid deposits for each hood. Well, I couldn't leave it as is. Don at ADVAN is a great guy, can't say enough about a big business willing to talk to owners of 30 yr old cars looking for a fancy hood :)

Anyway, I have put deposits on another 10 units and have an agreement to keep the price the same. Really not sure I can do this a 3rd time, but who knows?

So, keeping in mind I am on the West coast, and with PST, plus I work 11 hr days with limited time to update much forum stuff, BRING ON THE REST OF THE ORDERS! I will do my best to update and answer questions.

Thanks again everyone, and again, if you have even the slightest thoughts of ever getting a CF hood, this is really the time!

Don L.

#32 ·
Hatches (and most anything else) can definitely by done by ADVAN. We talked briefly about that, and fenders, header panels, etc. It's the cost, and potential demand. It would be a big project. Glass or lexan would not be an issue. As any project, start up costs......

Don L.

#36 ·
Thanks again Don.

I would really be interested in fenders, headlight covers, header panels and whiskers. Possibly they could incorporate whiskers to the header panels. Really lighten up the front end of my track car project.

I've also thought that doors with fixed window frame would be nice.

#33 ·
What do you think though, Don. I feel as if CF or Fiberglass hatches may have a bigger demand than the hoods, and you obviously filled those orders fast. I'll definitely have to talk to Advan next time I'm that way about start up costs for our hatch. I have a perfect, spare hatch here that we could use as a mold.

#38 ·
Yup, will take a very good hatch that can be used as a plug for molding, and since they have a hatch for the AE86 Corollas, certainly feasable. I'm not so sure a hatch would have the quantity demand of the hoods, but what do I know....I thought 10 hoods would be a stretch :)

Its a financial investment and risk, as with any traditional group buy. Look at the Celica CF hood group buy that also went through ADVAN. Those members had a tough time getting that project going. ADVAN was very accomodating to get that done, and it took a long while.

I'd like to see a CF hatch, although I personally can't use one. If you decide to work with ADVAN to develop a hatch, I definitely will endorse them!

Don

#34 ·
Another high-demand item from our forum would be Whiskers. Advan already makes eyelids for Beemers so I am sure they have the capability to make whiskers for Supras, and if they could do it in the same price range (under $100) I am sure a large percentage of us would scoop them up in no time.

#39 ·
You know, this was another interesting conversation we all had with Don (ADVAN). He felt the whiskers were rather complicated in shape, ok in terms of possible to do, but not too easy. I recently pulled my header panel off to be replaced, and since the whiskers are attached to the header panel, we got to talking about a CF header panel, that was extended in that portion of the whiskers area so no whiskers were needed. Now THAT is interesting and seems fairly affordable. Just think, for not much more than custom whiskers, you get a whole CF header panel. I think it would be cool. Holes for headlight sprayers would be optional, emblem holes too. Its not too hard to replace either. Anyway, just a thought. I'm pretty taxed out after this project. Too soon for another :)

Don L.

#35 ·
Money sent. Thanks Don!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.