Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
To gauge interest on different parts to be made we should get a quote by Advan and have anyone who is interested put money down to get the molds made. Then we could take orders with half down. I still think it would be a hot seller, especially with few hatches out there that are rust free. Lets come up with a list of people who are willing to invest in the mold. Thank you Don for all your time and investment in the hood. I look forward to getting mine.
Tim

·
POTATO
17,232 Posts
20 hoods in what, 2 days? Crazy! Amazing work Don, you've had people salivating over this project for so long that everyone jumped on it like starved vultures, even at Christmas time too!

·
Super Moderator
8,260 Posts
Its kind of funny all the wannabe carbon people that came and went on this forum could have sold a ton of hoods if they weren't flakes. Don if you talk with them could you ask if they could do a ZR1 type hood where the underside is the nice carbon weave and the outside is meant to be painted? Like this;

Or maybe just plain old FRP. I'm not a big fan of the exposed carbon look especially after they yellow.

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
You know, this was another interesting conversation we all had with Don (ADVAN). He felt the whiskers were rather complicated in shape, ok in terms of possible to do, but not too easy. I recently pulled my header panel off to be replaced, and since the whiskers are attached to the header panel, we got to talking about a CF header panel, that was extended in that portion of the whiskers area so no whiskers were needed. Now THAT is interesting and seems fairly affordable. Just think, for not much more than custom whiskers, you get a whole CF header panel. I think it would be cool. Holes for headlight sprayers would be optional, emblem holes too. Its not too hard to replace either. Anyway, just a thought. I'm pretty taxed out after this project. Too soon for another :)
Don L.
Let's do it!

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I would really be interested in fenders, headlight covers, header panels and whiskers. Possibly they could incorporate whiskers to the header panels.
Very easy to do - there is even a vented header panel, with integrated whiskers, that shows up on Rinkya from time to time. It's made of fiberglass:

Painted and on the car it looks great (and I've got one in my parts stash if you need close-up photos or pics of the backside :))

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Its kind of funny all the wannabe carbon people that came and went on this forum could have sold a ton of hoods if they weren't flakes. Don if you talk with them could you ask if they could do a ZR1 type hood where the underside is the nice carbon weave and the outside is meant to be painted? Like this;

Or maybe just plain old FRP. I'm not a big fan of the exposed carbon look especially after they yellow.
That looks like a fairly simple project, but do you have a donor hood that a mold can be made from? Keep in mind that after the donor piece is used, the finish may likely be "seasoned". I bought what I thought to be a pretty dang nice white OEM hood to use for the mold process. Afterward, the hood looked more like a sanded, spot primed hood ready for painting. ADVAN will repair/touch up/prime any irregular spots of the donor part, all so the mold comes out smooth. Essential for a nice product. This, besides the financials, is one hurdle. Finding a pristine part (that won't be pristine after molding) to use. In the case of hatches, if you had a great hatch, likely you wouldn't want to ruin it. Not to say I am not looking into more potential projects.

Don L.

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Very easy to do - there is even a vented header panel, with integrated whiskers, that shows up on Rinkya from time to time. It's made of fiberglass:

Painted and on the car it looks great (and I've got one in my parts stash if you need close-up photos or pics of the backside :))
Hey Karl, if you could email me some pics of top and bottom. I like this as a potential part, more for the elimination of whiskers, as much as having a cool looking header panel. Of course decisions of holes for headlight sprayers, holes for emblem, vents and style/quantity, discussions will arise.

I noticed the header panel must have been made from the OEM shape with the whiskers. I was thinking there is no need to have the raised whisker shape, just keep it smooth up to the headlight. Never understood purpose of the whiskers anyway. Airflow? Protect headlights from rocks?, give me headaches in my old age?

Don L.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
The header panel would be nice - I have a couple extras here in nice shape that I won't even ask to have shipped back.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Amazing work! I'm definitely impressed and interested in a hood, if there are any spots left. Money is tight but a deal like this comes only once in a long while!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Thanks Don for making this carbon fiber hood possible! Can't weight till I have money to buy one! By the way, the carbon fiber header panel's a great idea, but, as others have mentioned, I believe a carbon fiber hatch would have more buyers. One main reason people pay for carbon fiber parts is weight reduction. A carbon fiber hatch would shed A LOT more weight than a carbon fiber header panel. A carbon fiber hatch would also make a great replacement for anyone with a rusted or dented hatch. It would also be nice if they made them with glass that was thinner and lighter than stock, as the glass itself weighs 25lbs. :twocents:

·
Supra since '86
5,472 Posts

Nice rare header panel. I'm not a big fan of the extra venting, but I'm sure there are many out there that are. So one stock with built in whiskers and another with vents to those that want them would be great. Feasible though?

Thanks Don for making this carbon fiber hood possible! Can't weight till I have money to buy one! By the way, the carbon fiber header panel's a great idea, but, as others have mentioned, I believe a carbon fiber hatch would have more buyers. One main reason people pay for carbon fiber parts is weight reduction. A carbon fiber hatch would shed A LOT more weight than a carbon fiber header panel. A carbon fiber hatch would also make a great replacement for anyone with a rusted or dented hatch. It would also be nice if they made them with glass that was thinner and lighter than stock, as the glass itself weighs 25lbs. :twocents:
I've found hatches without glass and sunshade/spoilers are really light. So I'm looking at very thin lexan or something similar. Yes fibreglass and carbon fibre would help with the issues of rust

My main goal with my track car project is to lighten the front of the car. These cars come from the factory with something like 54/46 front/rear weight distribution. My goal is getting as close to 50/50 as possible. Remove the interior and you lighten the rear. Add a cage you are back. Weight reduction anywhere in the front would help more.

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
Good whiskers are getting hard to find. Anytime there's a pair for sale they get scooped up before a second person even gets a chance at them. I think that integrating them into the header panel in cf would get a lot of interest around here. And if Advan sees us jumping into another group buy on something like this after how fast 20 hoods went then they would get an idea how serious CS owners could be on a bigger project like the hatch. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to reduce some more weight and a hatch would probably the best single item to go cf but I also see a need around here for the whiskers/header panel and think we'd get a large group buy for them.
Then again, maybe it's only because my whiskers are all cracked and broken but my hatches are all in good shape. LOL

·
Registered
331 Posts
Even cf fender flares would be nice. Expecially if some one leans on it or hits it it won't fall apart like fiberglass! And then some cf Jen remakes like fender mirrors!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Would totally buy a hatch and header panel, I'm keen as hell for front fenders, L-Type though. Are P-Types just L-Types with a bit stuck on, or is it a bit more complicated than that?

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Good points on both the header panel and the hatch. Obviously there is more demand and a bigger buyer market out there than I initially anticipated. The CF hood is a nice accessory, sure its lighter in weight, but most people buy accessories for distinctiveness, appearances. I personally am not into the look so much as the go. I spend an awful lot of money to lose a few pounds in car weight, but that's just me.

The header panel to me loses a fairly trivial amount of weight. The benefit of a CF header panel is lack of rust, and getting rid of the whisker need. In discussion with ADVAN, the vented style of the header panel complicates the manuf process a bit. Some of the vertical sections of the vented areas may have to be regular black, not CF. I'm not into the manuf processing, but needless to say, I anticipated that part of the design of the JDM header panel to be more difficult. Keep in mind that the panel that Karl has is probably fiberglass, molded. I guess more simple in manuf.

Remove the vents and it gets significantly easier. Any mold that ADVAN can create, direct off of a OEM piece, will be straightforward. If the donor part is rusted, not straight, or in the case of the whiskers....needing some custom fabricating, will add to time and cost.

Would they have a mold for a stock style header panel, and another for vented? Prob not.

Hatches likely would require the buyer to have glass installed. Lexan or plexiglass can prob also be installed. Not sure on legality of non-glass on the roads.
Other issue to look at is if the glass rubber gaskets are still available from Toyota, or whatever is needed to attach glass to the hatch.

You see, a CF hood is a piece of cake compared to this other stuff, eh?

Don L.

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Would totally buy a hatch and header panel, I'm keen as hell for front fenders, L-Type though. Are P-Types just L-Types with a bit stuck on, or is it a bit more complicated than that?
Are people really needing fenders? I'd use carbon fiber fenders, but I'd make mine with larger integrated flares, but thats me :)

Don L.

41 - 60 of 214 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.