Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They have now gone the way of the dinosaurs...don't ask if I have em...cause I don't.

I do still have plenty of quarter window moldings on hand and available in the NAPO (North American Parts Operations) inventory AT THIS TIME.

As they say in Vegas..."Hands change"

Sad day indeed... :sadbanana:

·
Super Moderator
7,283 Posts
This is NOOOO consolation folks but I've been frantically working the last few weeks to find a manufacturer who can get these reproduced to look and feel like the factory units. I've spent more time on this than I care to admit but finally got the attention of one company in the US who is working on a quote. Initial pricing seems decent.

Mark...sorry if this is hi-jacking...I can delete it if you want!!

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
I think there is some confusion here george..

Mark, you are talking bout the trim that goes on the top of the door, and rubs against the window glass, correct.

George, I am pretty sure you are working on the door bump strips.

lower window trim = belt molding

mid-door trim = bump strip or as toyota calls it "outside moulding"

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK2/manual.aspx?S=BO&P=16

Is this correct mark?

This is terrible new for me. I finally have the money to buy such things, and have finally collected a good bump strip set and now this! bah!

·
Premium Member
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No worries G. Yes...Steve you got it right. I'm shocked that these are not available any longer. I'm glad I have a set for my car stashed away already. Luckily the quarter windows are still available for a while longer...they are the ones that didn't weather well over the years. You can polish the door belts up if you have a decent set. I'd imagine getting a set of qtr belts in a year or so might end in the same result.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Gosh dangit! Now i gotta hope i can find a garage queen that got totaled at pick 'n pull, or I'm never gonna get good belt moldings.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Bummer indeed!

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
This just makes it more important to pull any good ones you find at junkyards, on Supras and Celicas. I try to do that with any discontinued or hard to find parts. Those of you with track/race-only cars could spare some good originals for some repainted parts, to help the resto guys out.

·
I like Boost
3,725 Posts
This is NOOOO consolation folks but I've been frantically working the last few weeks to find a manufacturer who can get these reproduced to look and feel like the factory units. I've spent more time on this than I care to admit but finally got the attention of one company in the US who is working on a quote. Initial pricing seems decent.

Mark...sorry if this is hi-jacking...I can delete it if you want!!
very interested...what about the rocker mouldings George?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been holding off for about 10 years now to restore my 84 and now comes this is bad news. At the moment, the belting on my car is decent, but it would have been nice to bring the car back to newer condition and to match the new front window molding that I bought not long ago.

What are the chances of someone else making after market door belt moldings?

If I buy the rear quarter window moldings by themselves the rubber probably won't be a match to the existing front moldings and that wouldn't look good. Somehow, I need to find the door and window belt moldings for both sides, unless someone can tell me how to get my existing moldings back to looking new.

Or... maybe I'll wait for another 10 years and by then some other company will have come out with aftermarket parts for these Supras. One can only hope it happens sooner rather than later and before I lose interest.

All I can say is if you do find that you can supply all of them for both sides, please send me an email.
Regards.

·
Premium Member
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I doubt any of the metal moldings for these cars will ever be reproduced. The market demand available to a manufacturer is just too small to support the engineering and setup costs of such a complex molding design. I know that George is working on a solution for the body side moldings down the middle of the car. These are much easier to reproduce...and a matter of fact...even Toyota ditched the metal in the body side moldings when they ran the replacement sets off the line. They switched over to a full rubber/urethane molding with 3M adhesive instead of studs and clips. Chalk that one up to 3M...they revolutionized body side moldings in the 80's with double stick tape. No more holes in doors meant the less likely chance of future rust corrosion around said holes.

·
Super Moderator
8,167 Posts
Best bet on these would be to find a rubber company to remake the rubber portion and then refurbish from old core. Refinish them, attach the new rubber piece, and reassemble. Frankly I don't think you could get enough interest to break even. There aren't enough serious Mk2 owner out there. If they were selling that well to begin with Toyota would've keep making them.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
$80/per side, and that's with Mark's friendly discount! I'm going to buy some I think, but I'm looking into who can install them correctly before I buy them.

·
Registered
373 Posts
$80/per side, and that's with Mark's friendly discount! I'm going to buy some I think, but I'm looking into who can install them correctly before I buy them.
You can install them correctly. I promise. Especially if you have a set you will have to take off to get them on.

I wish Toyota would give Mark a last year warning or something though. I'm sure we could get enough interest from on the fence people to buy up enough to keep them in production.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts