Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be best to use for the exterior door / trunk lock lubrication ?

WD-40 or some type of dry graphite... ?

Just something to make the key go in and out easier.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I am fond of using the white lithium grease spray. Also works for hinges and the brake/clutch pedals.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Do not use wd 40 or any type of oil. I gunks up the lock. Graphite is the old standby----I guess lithium mentioned above is good but I've never personally tried it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
^^^ +1 on Triflow. Sometimes it's hard to find, but works better than anything I've found for lubrication of metal or plastic.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
One place I've found Triflow is in a Bicycle shop. Not all of them have it, but all the ones I've worked at did. You can get it in a spray or a drip bottle.

·
Registered
137 Posts
i've been using white lithium grease for everything from door locks to hinges to window regulators to drawer slides for tool boxes

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I just dip the key in a little motor oil and insert into the lock. Works for me.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Never use oil or grease on lock cylinders. Oils attracts dirt and dust, and will prevent the tumblers from moving as needed to unlock. Use only dry lubricants such as silicone, graphite or other products specifically designed for lubricating locks.

Never clean lock cylinders with products that leave a film or residue. Films and residue are usually oils and will attract dirt. Electrical contact cleaning products work great on lock cylinders and leave no film or residue.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Never use oil or grease on lock cylinders. Oils attracts dirt and dust, and will prevent the tumblers from moving as needed to unlock. Use only dry lubricants such as silicone, graphite or other products specifically designed for lubricating locks.

Never clean lock cylinders with products that leave a film or residue. Films and residue are usually oils and will attract dirt. Electrical contact cleaning products work great on lock cylinders and leave no film or residue.
That's what I've heard, also.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
My suggestion is a two step process, first to first clean, then lubricate.

First flush out the lock with an aerosol spray/solvent particularly if you live in an area with wind and dust (or salt near the ocean). This is about the only thing I use WD-40 for (with the red straw). Have a rag handy and clean up all the gunk that flows out.

Next, a graphite/Teflon lubricant. Like others above, I use Triflow. There are also some auto lock sprays that are similar.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
dry graphite powder
Baloney. You need to flush out the crap in the lock first. It can be WD-40 or PB Blaster or whatever, but you need to flush. Then I like dry graphite powder myself, or Trifoil.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Flush with carb or engine cleaner. WD-40 residue will accumulate gunk.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i used cat-oil to lube my accords doors once. only had to do it once like a year ago its still lubed really good gettin a lil rough on the drivers side cuz i use it so much

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
If i let it go i get 7-8 years or more with dry graphite lube

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
carb spray evaporates.
most things inside door is covered in plastic sheeting.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts