Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
dont leave your key in the ignition, thats why they lock :lol:

or it could be the relay that has gone bad. :( I had that problem in the summer last year, but it went away :confused:

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
mine have trouble locking. lol whenever i lock them they automatically unlock, or sometimes while driving they do whatever they want, i beleive its the relay but don't want to shell out that kind of cash

·
Registered
591 Posts
on windy days my disabled car alarm goes off(hood sensor dissconnected) and my doors unlock themselves after i'm ABSOLUTELY sure i've locked them.

·
Registered
572 Posts
mine do that also, I was working on my car one day, had it running and they locked. Luckely I had the hood up, I had to disconnect the battery so it would die and call my friend with the spare key.

·
Registered
310 Posts
My door locks act up time to time esp in hot days. mybe a relay.

·
Super Moderator
8,413 Posts
I'd suspect that the lock relay box behind the drivers door panel has a loose connection inside it. Other than the switch itself it looks like about the only thing that could cause this on the wiring diagrams.

·
Registered
15,039 Posts
its most likely the relay. ive had that problem on a couple cars. replaced the relay and voila.
william

·
Registered
216 Posts
Relay I believe. My doors lock as soon as I touch anything remotely related to the door. Hasn't botherd me enough to try and fix yet though.

·
Registered
306 Posts
mine lock as soon as the car is shut down and i close the door, cool system,just don't leave keys in car.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
DKJones96 said:
on windy days my disabled car alarm goes off(hood sensor dissconnected) and my doors unlock themselves after i'm ABSOLUTELY sure i've locked them.

Would that Hood sensor be located near the brake booster???????

·
Super Moderator
10,577 Posts
its the relay in the DS door behind the powerwindow\locks switch. They seem to go with age and become sensitive to vibrations. Slaming the door, driving over rough bumps, etc will make the doors lock and unlock. Might be hard to find a good one at a wrecker. I did but its so common your chances aren't that great and the new one may go right away. I've been meaning to open one up and see if they can be fixed.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I've only ever seen or heard of this problem on the 84-86 Mk2's, and never on an 82-83. What about others? Has anyone had this problem on an 82 or 83??

If it only happens on 84-86's, do you suppose it is just a coincidence that they moved the door lock button from the console (82-83) to the door in 84-86's?
If this problem is only found on 84-86's, I'd check the door lock button for loose connections first. Re-solder as needed. Check door lock solenoid itself for loose connections second. Replacing relay would be third on my list. But that's just from my experience with my own 7 Mk2's and several others in the local club. :wink:

·
Super Moderator
10,577 Posts
Dean said:
I've only ever seen or heard of this problem on the 84-86 Mk2's, and never on an 82-83. What about others? Has anyone had this problem on an 82 or 83??

If it only happens on 84-86's, do you suppose it is just a coincidence that they moved the door lock button from the console (82-83) to the door in 84-86's?
If this problem is only found on 84-86's, I'd check the door lock button for loose connections first. Re-solder as needed. Check door lock solenoid itself for loose connections second. Replacing relay would be third on my list. But that's just from my experience with my own 7 Mk2's and several others in the local club. :wink:
You could be very right about it being a problem only on 84+s, but its not the switches. I guarentee its the relay. I bet it changed in 84 as well. The whole locking system changed, it wasen't just a switch relocation. Is the equivelent relay for the 82/83s even in the door? If not maybe it is the same relay, but the years of harsh vibrations from being in a body panel that gets slammed everyday could be what kills the relays over time.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
SupraFiend,

You may be right. I'll take another look at my 82 since it has no underdash panels. I seem to recall that the door control relay black box is under the dash on the drivers side in that car. Is that black box in the door in the 84-86's?

In any case, I agree 100%, it is definately caused by vibrations breaking connections due to slamming the door every day for 20 years. :lol:

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
The door relay is in the door, just had one changed recently. Stereo shop put the realy in upside down and it's just an open box with a circuit board in it so moisture can get in it and mess with the board. The other relay you're talking about is under the steering column.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts