Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,594 Posts
yeah theres 2 of them, the other is next to the steering colum under the dash. Thats the main one.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Cant beleive I just saw this post now.
Anyways, I have gotten very very good at getting into the 84 with a coat hanger. I always left my keys in the ignition. Stopped doing that so the doors locking by themselves was never really a problem anymore. I contribute this as ...Advanced Systems Shutdown :roll:
DJ

·
Registered
984 Posts
Dean said:
I've only ever seen or heard of this problem on the 84-86 Mk2's, and never on an 82-83. What about others? Has anyone had this problem on an 82 or 83??

If it only happens on 84-86's, do you suppose it is just a coincidence that they moved the door lock button from the console (82-83) to the door in 84-86's?
If this problem is only found on 84-86's, I'd check the door lock button for loose connections first. Re-solder as needed. Check door lock solenoid itself for loose connections second. Replacing relay would be third on my list. But that's just from my experience with my own 7 Mk2's and several others in the local club. :wink:
Excellent diagnonsis by the way Dean.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I thought all along it was just my car til I read this thread. But then alot of that since I found this forum. You guys crack me up. :wink:

I never, ever leave my keys in the car. I learned that a long time ago. I wondered for awhile if it was really locking itself or if I just didn't remember locking up. Then while sitting in the car one day, car not running, keys not in the ignition and I saw out of the corner of my eye the locks lock. It was spooky looking. Lately I really don't ever lock it anymore because 9 times out of ten it's locked when I come back out. But it never unlocks by itself. No.

Last night I had to unlock the car 4 times before it stayed unlocked long enough for me to get the door open! BTW, I've suspected this is more frequent when really humid or foggy out and definitely worse on the passenger side.

Fray

·
Registered
160 Posts
yup, I'm another victim of the wonderful door lock problem, and I've got an 85 of course. It really sucks when you wanna warm the car up for school or something and you can't cuz the damn door locks. But I just keep a spare key inside my car for that reason now, cuz I can unlock it, use the spare to start it, then come back out and unlock it with my main, haha.

But yeah, so it's a relay then? Those are pricey aren't they?

·
Registered
591 Posts
CST said:
yup, I'm another victim of the wonderful door lock problem, and I've got an 85 of course. It really sucks when you wanna warm the car up for school or something and you can't cuz the damn door locks. But I just keep a spare key inside my car for that reason now, cuz I can unlock it, use the spare to start it, then come back out and unlock it with my main, haha.

But yeah, so it's a relay then? Those are pricey aren't they?
my origional key was worn to the point that it works in the car but the ignition doesn't hold it anymore so i start the car then take the key out and lock the car back up lol

·
Registered
999 Posts
Just heaping my experiences on the pile;
The problem is not the door controll by the steering colum, I replaced mine a while ago (here is the thread where I freaked out about it :oops: ) and the locks behave exactly the same way now. (I'm just assuming the new controll I got was not simply messed in the same way)

·
Registered
174 Posts
After an alarm gone bad incodent... doors unlocking and locking ... it was horrible...

anyway, replacing the relay under the dash fixed my problem.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I found this thread quite interesting as I have never had this happen. It got me worried since I sometimes leave mine running to warm up. Anyway either the previous owner solved the problem or my good fortune comes by chance because my locks work great except my key won't turn the alarm off or open the passenger side door. Since I run a separate alarm and only use the factory when I'm paranoid about the area this setup works for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the same problem with my 84. Something that I do is put a spare key in my wallet, I always have my wallet in my pocket so when my keys get locked in I have a spare on me and dont have to wait for some one to come save me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I thought i was alone with the auto doorlock feature. Heavens!, thank-you. This started for me while i was warming up my '84 on a -45 celcius morning. How dreadful, luckily i have a spare but i still had to climb through the hatch to get in. If the relay doesn't work try removing the keys while the car is on. Mine come right out easily.

Thanks guys i had fun reading your postings on this subject!

·
Super Moderator
10,594 Posts
hmmmm looks like I get to have both relays fail on me with my 85. When I got the car, and I posted about it years ago at the begining of this thread, slamming the door would make them lock and unlock. It was vibrations that was doing it. The vibrations caused by the locks locking or unlocking even caused it, so when it happened once they would continue locking/unlocking for a bit. Replacing the relay in the DS door underneath the lock buttons fixed this.

Now, I think the main relay for the system has gone on me (theres 2). I've come home twice now and heard the relay under the dash flicking on and off, trying to lock/unlock the doors. The vibrations from that is playing havoc with my alarm. Anyways, I'll swap the one under the dash out this weekend, I'm guessing that should fix it.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Hi!

I have the same prob with my 85 P type (unlocking at any time) I also figured it was the relay (the one behind the door panel and as it fluked out, I ended up getting a 2nd '85 and the locks in that one work fine.

So I figured I'd swap the relays from one I knew was working to the one that wasn't...and the same prob was occuring with a different relay...so I would think it isn't the relay.

Or are you guys talking about another relay besides the one in the door?

I've just left it out for now, but would like to correct it if it can be done.

Any thoughts ppl?? Dave

·
Super Moderator
10,594 Posts
well I swapped in a relay I know is good for the one under the dash, and it didn't fix my problem. The one I replaced in the door was from a highish milage junkyard car, so it may have just gone again (though my symptoms are different this time). I'll try the one in the door again, I have a perfect one of those too. And when I do narrow down the problem, I'm going to open up the problem relay and see if its fixable. Finding replacements for these things in the future is going to be impossible :(

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Automatic locking and unlocking doors is an option that toy supplied to most of us for free.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Psycho Door Locks

Thanks Dean;

I'll check into it once it gets warmer. I gotta work outside plus although the second '85 is certified, I gotta get the dash and (recovered) interior back together. That will be my priority -- then I can piddle around with minor annoyances on my "winter" Supra. Good to know tho'

Thanks again, Dave

·
Registered
33 Posts
Self Locking and Unlocking door locks

Just reviewed this thread. It was very helpful.
I have a 1983 Supra with the same problem, just started today (Feb 23rd). I've taken the driver's side door panel off previously and will check that relay first.
However, the clicking noise that I hear is definately coming from under the dash, near the steering wheel. I suspect the relay under the dash is the problem.
Does the dash board have to be removed or can I assess the relay from underneath? If the dash has to be removed is there a link to some instructions?

Thanks very much,
Dan
Kelowna, B.C

21 - 40 of 69 Posts