Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a write-up, information, or pictures on installing speakers in the bottom corners of the doors? Just looking to get more info before I go and cut up my doors. Thanks

Jason

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Emohawk said:
No I do not.
And you'd better shrink that sig before any mods see it, or who know's what they'll do to you.
http://www.celicasupra.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3200
Heh...what I did to Zank is not common punishment. I was just teasing Zank for being obnoxious.

However, posting a picture in your signature that is 153k and 800x602 pixels isn't too cool. Try to think about the people who access the forum with dial-up before you do that, ok? It doesn't hurt our bandwidth, but it really kills load time for the non-broadband user.

Thanks! :wink:

·
Registered
501 Posts
don't take the easy way out and realize you dont have to cut your doors because the magnets fit in the little cutout that is at the bottom front corner of the door with a .5-1" spacer. your doors will rattle and your speakers will sound shitty... at least they did for me. i'd recommend a lot of damping material on the door, cutting the door a bit, making long tabs to secure whatever baffle you're using reaally well. i gave up on my door speakers and now have my arm rest replaced by a little box for a 5.25" woofer. it's made of hardboard cut with a jigsaw on a staircase in about 30 minutes with the loose tolerances taken care of by gobs of liquid nails. it looks like absolute shit but honestly sounds amazing... if anyone could find a way to fit something like that really cleanly i think they'd be money.

·
Registered
517 Posts
That is one F... nice car, :drool: good job on that man,
I would not even touch the doors but you know whats best for you.
If you do. it do it well :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
again, nice car :eek:

i am gonna suggest either fiberglas and making some custom speaker pods, or taking it to a really good, professional quality installer and asking what they would suggest.

fiberglas, if done yourself will probably cost 40-100 bucks, a pro installer doing a custom job... 100++, possibly up to 500, depending how "pro" and how custom.

id imagine you can get something nice done for 60 bucks a door tho, and if they make the pods properly, you shouldnt have to cut, they should be able to mount in prexisting holes, if the installers any good.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I'll wait till Jim comes out with another amazing product. BTW, when are you going to have the aluminum rad group buy, Jim? I'd really like to get one.
Jason

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I used 6.5 eclipse components in the doors. I started with the hole in the door and enlarged it. However, the magnets were quite large, and I needed a .5" spacer. I put the tweeter on the cover for the mirror wiring (where the door sill meets the a pillar). They sound really sweet! So much in fact, that I planned on doing the rear and never got around to it. Fronts alone sounded awesome.

I plan on modifying the door panels to mold the lower part outward flush with the speaker, cause just having the spacer sitting there looks odd. And I get no rattle or anything with my setup.

Christian

·
Registered
807 Posts
Re: Door Pods

Barnzi said:
Use this link to view my door speaker pods i have recently installed. They are a perfect fit!! :humpleg:

http://www.celicasupra.com/~mikecs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3491
:roll:

Barnzi
Is that pod just a way to affix the speaker to the door, or is it a full enclosure sealed (or ported even) on the backside?

Jim, I'm *very* interested in changing my current setup to an enclosure of some sort at that location. Can you hook me up with details of your pods? You say 'ressurect'; are there pictures floating around of a past project possibly?

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I started it, showed the prototype in NJ 2002.

I since then made a real mold, but have not had any time this year.

Once winter hits, and I'm going through MK2 withdrawl,
this and a few other projects will restart.

The basics is that it's a full pocket replacement. Tailored
to the door contour, with easy room for a 5.25 and seperate
tweeter, OR certain 6.5's

Jimi and Mike saw some early proto's.

If anyone has pics of Phil Bridges MK2, it's similar.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I took my car to a car stereo place because I didn't trust myself cutting the door. I came back a few hours later to these, they'd trimmed the hole to make it slightly bigger and made a pod out of MDF in the shape of the now disposed of pocket and lined it with black vinyl.

Schmick and all for AU$75.

[/img]

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
jdk_ii said:
This winter, I'm ressurecting the door speaker pods.

They are ABS molded plastic and will fit a 5.25 mid-bass
and optional tweeter.

It replaces the door pocket.

Stay tuned.
Hmmm... Anyone else notice thats it mighty cold outside? May mean its winter.... :wink:

Jim, any update on these pods? I just got a set of 5 1/4 components and am in the market for just such a thing so I won;t have to cut holes in my nice door panels.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I've seen Phil's :rockon: and if someone could get something along these lines available to the masses, I would definately be interested.
Keep us posted Jim
DJ

·
Registered
279 Posts
Supra Bob said:
Hmmm... Anyone else notice thats it mighty cold outside? May mean its winter.... :wink:

Jim, any update on these pods? I just got a set of 5 1/4 components and am in the market for just such a thing so I won;t have to cut holes in my nice door panels.
Bob, i PM'ed Jim a while back inquiring about the door pods -- Jim sent me back a PM stating that he'd post pics later in January when he gets them made :D

-Evan

1 - 20 of 102 Posts