Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
re:

Anybody have any experience with which drag radial is good? How about these dot approved, street legal variants, any comment?

Sonny

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
There are many that come in 225/50R14, i.e. Toyo RA-1s. DOT approved is not really a drag slick. It is more of a softer compound for street use. Excellent for road courses / driver's schools. But somewhat of a compromise for 1/4.

If you really want drag slicks you will have to look into Mickey Thompson which has the 26/8.5-14. Be prepared to replace your diff. or driveline. The MT's are wrinkle wall true drag slicks. If you don't have the horses... it will bog you down off the line.

Rule of thumb for 1/4.. Taller the sidewall the better. 17" and above do not make very good drag tires.

Regards,
James

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Supra GTR said:
There are many that come in 225/50R14, i.e. Toyo RA-1s. DOT approved is not really a drag slick. It is more of a softer compound for street use. Excellent for road courses / driver's schools. But somewhat of a compromise for 1/4.

If you really want drag slicks you will have to look into Mickey Thompson which has the 26/8.5-14. Be prepared to replace your diff. or driveline. The MT's are wrinkle wall true drag slicks. If you don't have the horses... it will bog you down off the line.

Rule of thumb for 1/4.. Taller the sidewall the better. 17" and above do not make very good drag tires.

Regards,
James
I have been using the Mickey Thompson Indy Profile S/S street slicks DOT Approved... I have used this tires for the Battle of the Imports and it pass the tech... the size is G60-14 (255/60R14) and the tire rating is 00/A/B you have to burn it up really good to have the best traction of the tire... the tire has the same sticky compound as the MT ET Slicks.

This tires have been mounted on the stock 14x7 rims and they fit really nice but I would prefer a more wider 8" rims.

JAY

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
cheappower82 said:
Jay, I considered those G60-14's, but they're quite heavy (31 lbs).
I found some 15x8 aftermarket wheels and today just ordered some MT 24.5x8.0x15 (17 lbs).
The MT 24.5x8.0x14 (16 lbs) should work nicely on the stock wheels. http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.html
Well it is all to your taste... I just went with the G60-14 DOT street/strip drag slicks due to the restrictions on tires on my class which is a street class w/ DOT tires.

I am also considering some ET Drag tires but I am considering the 26.0x8.5x14 (18 lbs), I want the taller tires on the stock wheels.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I almost bought the 26" slicks, but decided to go closer to stock height. If you get them, let me know how they work for you.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
cheappower82 said:
I almost bought the 26" slicks, but decided to go closer to stock height. If you get them, let me know how they work for you.
It would be until next year... but the G60-14 tires are sized close to 26x8.5x14 tires and I had no problems with the launch on them... you just have to burn it up really good... there is a little wheelspin on launch due to that it is still a street slicks but the tires worked great with boost and a 3000rpm rev limit launch with the 2 step.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts