Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive owned two mk2's and two mk3's. I was racing a first gen rx7 for a year (now Im broke) and Im now thinking about another Mk2. I was wondering if all the Mk2's came wtih LSD. I know both of mine had it but I want to make sure I dont buy one without LSD. THanks for the help guys.

Finally anybody on here drifting a Mk2, and if so what susp setup do you have. Are there coil over and camber options for the Mk2?

Thanks

Will

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think L-types and auto trans did not come with lsd diffs. They came with 3.73's, the 4.10 and 4.30's are LSD if I am not mistaken. The diff codes are probably available by doing a search on this site. Chris Eng (CJSREDPRA) definitely knows them.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Look at the diff codes on the engine placard... if it states F29x (auto) then it is a F series Diff with a 4.10 ratio but if the last digit (x) is an odd number means it is possibly an LSD diff (execpt Mine as the previous owner swaped it for a single spinner) and if the (x) is an even number, it is a single spinner...

Another way is to jack up the rear of the car and have someone hold one wheel, as you spin it it should be alot of resistance and stuff *need someone to allobrate more*

Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
8,739 Posts
What's the heck is a drifting LSD???? :lol:

·
Super Moderator
8,739 Posts
Ohhhh one of those! Sweet Jesus I feel like such a newbie now :oops: :wink:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
keep running with that boys. I should have placed a coma between both of them (drifting,LSD). IF you read my post you will notice I discuss the two topics. Furthermore I think these two topics are somewhat related as a limited slip diff is quite a vital element to ones setup.

Glad I joined this forum, thanks for all the help boys.

·
Registered
13,193 Posts
Sorry about that man. We are a bunch of sarcastic butt's sometimes.

As far as drifting goes, I have run on stock springs since the beginning, only changing supression. I ran stock old crap up front and some uber-stiff kyb's in back with good drifting results. It felt very good coming through at full throttle after a slight twitch on turn-in. No clutch-pop or lead up necessary. I now have a bit stiffer front, so delicasy on turn-in is necessary to avoild the ever-embarassing understeer. I also run the same tires all round. Next season I'll try kuhmo v700's in front with stockers out back for a few laps and see how predictable that is. I think this car's weight makes is very manageable and smooth. Some of the other, lighter, cars loose and gain rear lateral traction much too quickly, giving a harsh appearance. Considering drifting is a "show" sport, that smooth appearance is very necessary.

--BillyM
3rd place regional G-stock killah!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
dirtyboy said:
keep running with that boys. I should have placed a coma between both of them (drifting,LSD). IF you read my post you will notice I discuss the two topics. Furthermore I think these two topics are somewhat related as a limited slip diff is quite a vital element to ones setup.

Glad I joined this forum, thanks for all the help boys.
Hey man.. relax... everyone's just messin with ya a bit.

One thing to watch when your buyin a mk II, is that the LSD clutches wear out and she starts behaving like a one legger then. I would recommend checking the firewall code rather than the wheel spin test...

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
jbrody,

US Spec L-Type's didn't get LSD rears. Canadian Spec L-Type's DID, depending on the car (some have them, some don't). Automatic P-Type's did have LSD's.

ZZT got it right. You need to look at the last digit in the axle code on the dataplate. Should be a 3 or 5. Now if the rear has been changed out in the past & you don't know what you have, then that's another story.

·
Registered
861 Posts
ZZT hit it on the head. Check the code, and the even numbers will be single traction, the odds posi, unless previously changed. Good luck on your drift project...

Scotty

1 - 14 of 14 Posts