Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a new shop around town that has a bunch of pretty cool catz.. They genuine because they refer to most cars by there chassis codes rather than years.. And they are JDM experts.. But all the time i walk into there store they have bad ass drifting videos. :lol: I was just wondering if anyone has experience with drifting the MK2.. I've heard of some problems concerning the steering ratio, can anyone clarify things for me.. I'm interested in learning the drifting experience.. :lol:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
- Drifting isn't racing. You can drift while you race, however.

- It's easy to powerslide the MkII. That's a type of drift.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
quick said:
- Drifting isn't racing. You can drift while you race, however.

- It's easy to powerslide the MkII. That's a type of drift.
I never said drifting was racing i was just wondering if anyone has experiences with drifting and i would like to know if anyone would like to share their experiences with drifting..

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Now thats just alot of bull s#!+ drifting is racing it just dosint hapen that often I have alot of drift racing videos in my PC go to www.KAZAA.com
And get there program and then make a searh for Initial D or Drift and youll get theam!!! as for drifting a MK2 Im all over that its not hard at all the power is there it just comes down to skill. Drifting is the S#!+ if you want more info hit me up any time!!

·
Registered
13,118 Posts
Some people are lucky I dont have ban abilities.

The funny thing is that most that claim to be drifters are intersection first-second gear tire-spinners. I dont claim to be a "drifter" in any way possible, but there are quite a few corners on my street that are fun when it rains. It is a downhill run, to a 25mph rated right hand corner that slopes inward. I come down to about 40mph in fourth and use a third clutch-drop from idle rpms to upset the rear. Bring the back out with a flip of the wrist and hold it for a good 5-6sec. I have a couple of pictures of me mid-drift floating around here somehwere (I'll look for it to post here) and as far as I can tell, I was hung out about 35-40deg. Its nothing special, but it makes me happy.

Keep in mind it is a visible corner, and I never attempt anything like that with traffic around. I have also never made a mistake on the roads. I spent plenty of hours in empty parkinglots playing about prior to doing anything of the sort on public roads, and have spent many many sundays at the autocross, so I feel completely comfortable with the car in any situation.

I have no respect whatsoever for those who endanger others...

--BillyM
Viva La AutoX!
A single anime doesn't decide what is a venue of racing and what is not. Though it was fun to watch, go go Takumi!

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
turbosupra0101 said:
Now thats just alot of bull s#!+ drifting is racing it just dosint hapen that often I have alot of drift racing videos in my PC go to www.KAZAA.com
And get there program and then make a searh for Initial D or Drift and youll get theam!!! as for drifting a MK2 Im all over that its not hard at all the power is there it just comes down to skill. Drifting is the S#!+ if you want more info hit me up any time!!
The act of DRIFTING has absolutely nothing to do with racing. Drifting in itself is NOT a form of racing either. I've been around autoracing my entire life...1/4 mi, oval track, road racing etc.

Drifting = taking your car through a corner, and under power ... accelerating to the point that all four wheels are in a "controlled skid or slide" through the corner. The driver feathers the throttle and straightens the car out upon exiting the corner.

I've seen a few Mk2 guys from this forum (in videos) who have "drifted" their car around a corner. But...it's just an action, and that's all it is. It may occur "during" a race event of some sort...but it's not a form of racing, regardless of what you may believe.

___

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
_HOT_M16 said:
Some people are lucky I dont have ban abilities.

A single anime doesn't decide what is a venue of racing and what is not. Though it was fun to watch, go go Takumi!
I agree with you completely, Billy.

I have the entire Initial D set on video, including the movie, etc etc. Drifting is not racing. It's just a technique used when racing in certain circumstances.

People who want to drive fast don't drift (unless it's a 4-wheel drift due to inertia).
-Chris

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I agree. Even tho they hold entire events dedicated to drifting for points, its still not racing. It's a shitload of fun, ,though. The town next to us had about a 6 or 7 square block residential area that was completely paved, but the houses were never built on it (still havent). It was in an out of the way place. We would go there and practice drifting, making up our own tracks (many possibilities with all the streets). It was a blast. Popped a few curbs doing it, too :? . Unfortunately, they blocked it off a few years ago. So now you can't get in there anymore. What a waste of perfectly good pavement. :(

Christian

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Melly said:
There's a new shop around town that has a bunch of pretty cool catz.. They genuine because they refer to most cars by there chassis codes rather than years.. And they are JDM experts.. But all the time i walk into there store they have bad ass drifting videos. :lol: I was just wondering if anyone has experience with drifting the MK2.. I've heard of some problems concerning the steering ratio, can anyone clarify things for me.. I'm interested in learning the drifting experience.. :lol:
just because they refer to chassis codes doesn't mean crap, basically. anyone can refer to chassis codes. Z32, Z31, RPS13, PS13, S14, S15, MA67, MA70, AW11, AE86, AE92, AE101, SW11 (i think), J-body, F-body, Fox-body, A-body, E-body, Delta, LX, EG - they all mean something, but just because you know what car each of those is doesn't mean dick all.

and they show the drifting videos so you'll think ti's cool and buy parts from them so you can do it. everyone is a JDM expert.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
turbosupra0101 said:
color=blue]size=18]b]Now thats just alot of bull s#!+ drifting is racing it just dosint hapen that often I have alot of drift racing videos in my PC go to www.KAZAA.com
And get there program and then make a searh for Initial D or Drift and youll get theam!!! as for drifting a MK2 Im all over that its not hard at all the power is there it just comes down to skill. Drifting is the S#!+ if you want more info hit me up any time!![/b[/size[/color
that's really annoying, you know. please stop. it makes you look stupid. especially when you suggest looking for a cartoon for evidence of drifting as a form of racing.

also... i'm under the impression that the mkII doesn't really have enough power to sustain drifts successfully, so what have you done to yours, besides having 'mad skillz', to keep that tail sideways?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Drifting is never the fastest way around a corner, so you won't see it in any "real" racing. An obvious exception is rally events held on dirt/gravel/snow. If you want to see REAL drift masters in action, watch a bit of WRC - those guys are absolutely amazing!

I've heard it said that drifting is comparable to aerial skiing or figure skating - it takes a lot of skill to do it right, but it's not a sport in the traditional sense. By that I mean you can't pick the winner by the fastest time or any other objective measure; the competitors are judged on style and technique.

Getting back to the original question, I think you'll find lots of people here have at least some experience drifting Mk2's because the Mk2 Supra is well known for its tail-happy handling. I find my car is very controllable and predictable in a slide which is exactly what you want when drifting. I don't think there's any problem with the steering ratio... it would be nice if it was a bit faster, but it's perfectly manageable as it is IMO.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
If you're looking for tips on how to drift, heres a few:

DO IT IN A SAFE PLACE---MOST IMPORTANT!!
Start off with low speed drifting (high speed gets MUCH harder and the consequences are MUCH greater :shock: ) Try some 90 degree sharp wide turns. You can start at ~20mph and get some ok drift action, but it will get you comfortable with the sideways action. Cut into the turn and pull the ebrake long enough to get the ass sliding. Counter steer at the same time. At lower speeds the rear will grip rather quickly. The problem most newbs have is overcorrecting the intitial drift. They end up drifting, overcorrecting, and drifting the other way into a spinout. A good technique to start off with is to counter until your front wheels are pointing down the road and the tail stops coming out. Let go of the wheel and the car will straighten itself out. Notice how the wheel moves and then move on to correcting the steering by hand. As you start to get itdown, you can move up to higher entry speeds up to ~35-40mph and using the gas or clutch instead of ebrake to induce the over steer.

If you have access to some dirt trails with plenty of runout, then thats an even better place to start off. You can get good drifts at much lower speeds than pavement. However, on dirt, when you mess up, your car can be ssent a lot further away from where you screwed up when compared to pavement. Thats why you make sure there's plenty of runout :D . We let my buddie's brother try to drift on dirt in our project ae86, and on his first attempt he screwed up and landed the car on it's side in a drainage ditch. I had a video camera, but unfortunately I had stopped filming. I did film the aftermatch, though. That shiet was too funny!! We still love watching that tape. :D

Christian

Christian

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
You guys dont know jack shit about drifting at all It is raceing and as far as Initial D yah its a cartoon so what but in kazaa ass eaters like you post them up as Initial D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :snipersm: :2gunfire: :burn: :jerkit: WTF man any one who has something agent Drifting is just lame cus thay cant even do it so they say its not racing!! There too into that redneck shit with dale Jr. and Jeffy lube # 24 boy gay ass bye the way :ghey: :smilecol: Yah you guys think its not Racing But I dont care and so does every drifter I know We all know its racing and just to let you know theres well over 5000 drifters now. that out numbers us in this forum so zip it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
turbosupra0101 - If you keep up this kind of posting you're moving toward a banning.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
why cus I love Drifting now thats gay go look at the 1st rule on the bill of rights. Just AIM me if you fell like AIM doing something wrong. Besides I was told this forum is all about makeing friends not the other way arond?? Look if I get band then I do but over something this small??? Then what kind of forum is this??? 8) :confused:

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
turbosupra0101 said:
why cus I love Drifting now thats gay go look at the 1st rule on the bill of rights. Just AIM me if you fell like AIM doing something wrong. Besides I was told this forum is all about makeing friends not the other way arond?? Look I get band then if do but over something this small??? Then what kind of forum is this??? 8) :confused:
The best forum on the net...thats why we are here.
Drifting is a competition sport but it is not racing. Racing has a start and finish with the goal being to get from start to finish faster than the other racers. As Norbie pointed out-drifting is not the fastest way around a corner.
I like drifting. I like watching it and I like doing it and I have seen many competions and exhibitions but I have never seen a "drift" race.
The reason for the warning from the moderator is because you were becoming insulting and abusive and we do not tolerate that here. We have all had enough of that at other sites.
Keep on posting we all like to hear others thoughts and opinions but keep it friendly :D
Have a great day :D

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
dohc82 said:
turbosupra0101 said:
Besides I was told this forum is all about makeing friends not the other way arond?? Look I get band then if do but over something this small???
The reason for the warning from the moderator is because you were becoming insulting and abusive and we do not tolerate that here. We have all had enough of that at other sites.
Keep on posting we all like to hear others thoughts and opinions but keep it friendly :D
Thanks for explaining this, Wil. I was just coming back to add some additional information and you've already explained it for me. 8)

Let's keep the forums here courteous. Abusive language, etc is really not appropriate in the MkII community IMO. We want differing opinions, just express them with respect.
-Chris

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
What do you guys have to pick on Drifting?? I read on article not more than a few weeks ago on how drifting is faster than just racing even cuting sec. on the curse time. Look all and all It comes down to skill and what you like to do! I mean I love drifting my MK2 Supra All the time be it at the Club 4ag Drift Days or on a lonely street at nite. Plus I think most of you guys dont under stand a Drifters Hart at all...

From: Alex a.k.a. Speedy Drift Squadren U.S.A.<<------My Club

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
You are making assumptions about our motives and desires and skills-and your wrong on all counts. We arent picking on drifting. We understand the drifters heart...we wouldnt have bought a front engine rear wheel drive car if we didnt. I also recognize the difference between racing and drifting. And if drifting is faster then why dont the F1 cars drift? Or Nascar or Indy? Answer because it isnt.
Drifting is fun, exciting and at times spectacular but it isnt a car race.
This doesnt mean they dont have organized events it just means it doesnt fall under the definition of a car race. Dont take it personally. I never said you couldnt drive or didnt have the skills to do it (although you implied the same) I am just trying to explain the difference. Thats all.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts