Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Drive Shaft Shop Ford 9" Independent rear Bolt in Kit for MK2

For any kind of racing an independent rear can be the best solution. For drag racing most everyone uses a solid rear axle because of rules and simplicity and because the tracks are good and predictable. Having been a design / performance engineer on a NHRA pro stock team , I can tell you they aren't Ideal either. In order to deal with the crown and slope in the track the rear ends have to be turned and tuned for the crest and crown of each track, and if the driver gets more than a few inches out of the " racing line" there's performance degradation and if you get far enough out, a good chance of having an incident. Conversely an independent rear can deal better with different conditions (at each wheel) without upsetting the entire system. From there, the key is to have pick up points in your suspension that allow the tires to stay as flat to the road as needed , keep the chassis as stable as possible and transmit the loads into the chassis as effectively as possible. (sometimes a certain amount of camber gain may be desired or other compromises)
Our rear suspension layout and design is very old and outdated , and the unibody limits what we can do, but i'm confident a good compromise of handling and ability to have traction / "forward bite" as some old folks would call it is within our "bolt in reach", but it's too early yet for a data based response (from me )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,522 Posts
Well I think the biggest attraction to solid rears for drag racers is just not having to deal with any kind of camber or toe change during compression.

I've had some pretty good results with remounting the factory A arms to the subframe with camber brackets and reclocked inner mounts, on a car lowered over 2 inchs. We were able to get about .6 degs neg camber out of it and it hooked up beautifully at autox, with a tru trac too. Not quite a bolt on solution though.

·
Whistles
1,053 Posts
Yes, the unibody does have it's limit. The six point cage has done wonders for my car. Other people I've given rides to, have commented on how stiff the car is now compared to how it used to be.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts