Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at local wrecking yards for a clean rear section of the drivers seat for quite awhile. They're all busted near the top edge by the headrest.
Are there any really nice cloth seat covers out there that cover the whole seats or is this foam board stuff replaceable or??????

·
Registered
209 Posts
How bad off are your seats?

If you just need a section fixed, I would go to an upholstry shop. I have had sections of a seat fixed before, and while it dosen't match ecaxtly, it is usually pretty close. Upholstry shops can replace covers and foam.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Actually, there is a way to cover teh whole seat, but it's gonna cost! Check out Wet Okole's website for their seat covers.
I have them on my truck and they fit just like the seat was upholstered with the wetsuit material!
I think I paid $250 for the front bucket seats for my truck, so they should still be around that cost.
IN case you wanna see what they look like on a Supra(found this on the internet), here's some pics:

When I have some extra cash, I'll get a set of these and post some better pics of the back and sides...

·
Registered
991 Posts
Flyin' Hawaiian said:
I have them on my truck and they fit just like the seat was upholstered with the wetsuit material!
Chris,

How do you like them on your truck? Are they hot at all? Being a scuba diver the idea of neopreme for seats just doesn't sound like a good fit.

Leslie

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the same problem with my driver side seat back. I finally used a passenger side seat back and recut the holes. You will also need to trim the bottom slightly on the door side.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Blue83 said:
I had the same problem with my driver side seat back. I finally used a passenger side seat back and recut the holes. You will also need to trim the bottom slightly on the door side.
All the bolt holes lined up and everything????? That would sure make it easier.........!!!!! Thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,544 Posts
the only parts with ptype seats that don't switch back and forth (between passenger and driver) are the frames & rails The bottom cushions can be switched even but you will have to cut new holes in the fabric. All of the foam is interchangable.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I've also had similar problems - bloody driver's seat has been slowly crmbling away! I did find some replacement stuff for that chrome strip that goes around the plastic in the seat and should protect it from chipping, etc. I got a couple of meters of the chrome strip stuff from the local auto shop - it is sold as a door protector. Just cut and glue it down.

HTH,

Justin
JZA-61 in progress
Car is now back from upholsterers:
red on black throughout interior
When I pick up my Autotechnica wheel on the weekend,
I'll take some pix!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As soon as I get the driver's seat back taken care of, I was going to strip off that chrome trash, and install black rubber hose all around the edges, just slice it down the center. Nitro

·
Super Moderator
10,544 Posts
I did that on my old 82, it looks much better. The problem is making it stay, the glue that trim comes with doesn't work that well. It will start pulling off in time. The factory stuff is stapled on, I'm thinking something similar would be best.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Black rubber hose - bloody briliant idea! I've found that good super-glue will hold the chrome stuff down - it's just hard to find it in strips that are wide enough. Hmmm, I might try the rubber - I'm trying for a chrome/silver-free car (last car was an EK Holden Special - if you not from OZ., then think '57 Chev - with more pretty bits and less poke).

Justin
JZA-61 in progress
My engine has just landed in Australia!
Now, to cross the Nullubor ...

·
Super Moderator
10,544 Posts
yeah I'm not a big fan of chrome on the body or interior of supras. The black striping is easy to find, just hard to keep down

·
Registered
791 Posts
Leslie,
The seat is incredibly comfortable with the wetsuit material, but you are right, it does get warm and you tend to sweat after sitting for long periods of time. The nice thing is that you can take 'em out and wash it, throw them back in and think you just bought a new set!
The nice part is that it doesn't slip and slide around on the seat because of the neoprene backing, and there's a lot more clips and straps than those cheezy ones you get from the store. Plus, they're custom made to fit the exact year, make and model, hence the $250 price tag for just seat covers!
Chris

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
S.Fiend You are saying that you can switch out the passenger and driver side seat bits. For example My passenger seat is fine but the driver is rotting away. Its the sport type...you know all the adjustments. So i could take the cushons w/covers and exchange them???????????

·
Super Moderator
10,544 Posts
all of the foam is interchangable, and all of the cloth on the backs is interchangable. The metal frames are not at all, but you should be able to mount a whole PS seat in the DS position and vice a versa. The cloth on the bottoms of the seats are different, but only a because of a few holes, you could cut new ones. PS seat backings can be easily adapted to the drivers side and the DS seat pump can be adapted to the PS.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts