Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any help with this would be very much appreciated -- here's the situation. today, the driver's door handle/mechanism broke on my '83 P-Type. this is sorta hard to explain, but on the outside of the car (on the inside of the door handle) there's two plastic pieces where the actual door handle connects to the mechanism inside the door; one of those plastic pieces snapped in half, but i don't believe that is what the problem is. methinks that the mechanism inside the door somehow broke; it's a real pain in the arse -- i can't open the door from the outside :roll: any suggestions? anyone have this happen to them before?? :?

also, above the door latches, there is a spring-loaded black plastic 'thingy'. the driver's side one is broken in half, with the broken half being the 'L-shaped' piece -- can anyone tell me what function this spring-loaded thing performs??

any replies would be awesome -- thanks.

-Evan

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Buy or pull a new door handle and change the lock over.......trust me its a hell of alot easier.

·
Registered
862 Posts
The little black L thing is for the seat belt rechet so when you close the door the seat belt retracks.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Ah, yes....

The L-shaped thingy for the seat belt retractor is easy to replace. Just snag another one in a junkyard from another MA Supra or RA Celica, they interchange. Just remember that the lever for a right side door will not work on the left side door.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies, guys. i hope i can hit up a junkyard before it starts snowing (which would be tomorrow) :roll: i still haven't had my quandary figured out though, it's really odd; if i sit in the car and use the button on the center console to unlock or lock the doors, it looks like the manual toggle near the door handle doesn't fully unlock/lock. i should get this checked out; having to open the driver's door from the passenger side is starting to piss me off :p :wink:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
w00t. today my dad and i pulled the door panel off the driver's door on the Soop', and we used a degreaser to get all of the guck off of the mechanism inside the door. all that was needed was an adjustment; my dad and i didn't have a clue as how to adjust it, so my mechanic did the dirty work for me. the best part is that it didn't cost me a cent :dancin:

:3gears:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts