Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went about a month back to the junk yard and grabbed a new driveshaft complete from the junk yard becaue my carrier bering exploded...anyways grabbed one of a MKII (of course) and I noticed that it didn't fit quite right. I was like ahh whatever it'll be alright. well the other day I started getting some horrible noise from the carrier again. so today I took it apart and noticed that the little protective metal piece on the drive shaft in front of the carrier was rubbing on the metal outer ring on the carrier. I was like well shit. so I took it apart and the carrier was in good shape still. so I decided to investigate the whole thing about it not fitting properly. so I bolted the carrier and front driveshaft back to the bottom of the car and then when to connect the rear one to it and noticed that there is like an inch and a half gap between the two. I was like god damn. I also realized that in order for me to bolt them together I have to lower both halves down bolt them together then force the carrier tward the front of the car for the holes to line up. which in turn puts the carrier in a weird position with the rubber sticking out of the back of the carrier and therefore causing the protective metal ring to rub on the carrier assembly. I dont understand why these things dont line up. I didn't notice it doing that at the junk yard.

my question is could this have been originally off of a celica? I thought they were all the same so I didn't think twice about grabbing it because it has a perfect carrier and perfect U-Joints. and it was on an MKII when I grabbed it. anyways I had the old carrier and drive shaft assembly still and the carrier wasn't in the best of condition anymore. but I put it back on anwyways and it was teh same way. it's almost like the front part is too short but both of the drive shafts that I have are teh same exact length. anwyasy the old one exploded and well that was a horrible sound it sounded like my drive shaft fell out of my car.

any ideas about why there is that 1.5 in gap between the two and the fact that the carrier will not push straight up and bolt on like I feel it should?

any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
8,393 Posts
Did you get one from a manual trans car? The front driveshaft half should be different lenghts between auto and manual trannies. I would venture a guess that Celica an Supra driveshafts (at least on the MT cars) are the same since the floor pans and such are the same.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes I did....I remember because I took the shifter too :)

SilverMk2 said:
Did you get one from a manual trans car? The front driveshaft half should be different lenghts between auto and manual trannies. I would venture a guess that Celica an Supra driveshafts (at least on the MT cars) are the same since the floor pans and such are the same.

·
Registered
15,035 Posts
well, hopefully the issue is resolved. i gave eric the driveshaft i had from my blue 85 parts car. the rear section was longer. we dont know why, but it should hopefully have solved his problem. last i heard from him was a few hours ago, he was going to put it on. eric will prolly chim in here later.
william

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
all fixed.......definatly the front section was longer. interesting. didn't know there was different lengths...definatly fixed though and the car rides so much more smooth now YEY! I also replaced all the lock washers as they were pretty well worn out and the driveshaft bolts used to get just loose enough to cause vibration.

williamb82 said:
well, hopefully the issue is resolved. i gave eric the driveshaft i had from my blue 85 parts car. the rear section was longer. we dont know why, but it should hopefully have solved his problem. last i heard from him was a few hours ago, he was going to put it on. eric will prolly chim in here later.
william

1 - 5 of 5 Posts