Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

501 - 520 of 526 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #501
nice score bud!
One of those things that popped up, and I knew if I didn't act fast, I wouldn't get them.

I'm not really into the "OMG!! There's ONLY FIVE Sets Of Those In The US!!!" kind of thing. They fit, they look good, they're a bit bigger than those jokes that came on the car, the glass won't wobble anymore as I drive, and I'm not concerned that they're not power operated or heated.

·
Registered
271 Posts
One of those things that popped up, and I knew if I didn't act fast, I wouldn't get them.

I'm not really into the "OMG!! There's ONLY FIVE Sets Of Those In The US!!!" kind of thing. They fit, they look good, they're a bit bigger than those jokes that came on the car, the glass won't wobble anymore as I drive, and I'm not concerned that they're not power operated or heated.
LOL WOBBLING GLASS!!! yea I know exactly what you mean

·
Premium Member
5,357 Posts
I just stuff some foam in there to reduce the WOBBLE. I need to watch for the Cops in the fast lane.
Those mirrors remind me a lot of the Porsche's with HUGE rear view mirrors.
I can't find that model.

Jim's ones,(TOM'S) are KILLER! An intelligent purchase.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yeah, it bugs the SH1T out of me....
I have a 84 Celica too and I remember taking it out for the first drive, I was driving for a few mins and was like I need to adjust the mirrors so i try the pwr mirrors switch nothing... So I rolled the window down and was like WTF why so loose? I get on the hwy and then i learned the "wobble" and was like I guess its Ace Ventura time lol...

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #506
Packing some foam in there sounds like the way to go unless you want to take the damn things apart, clean, relube, and then fight that damn spring trying to put them back together again.

No thanks, I saw that movie and had a walk-on part in it......

·
Registered
271 Posts
You had a walk on part seriously? lol...

its the little wax things that look like wooden dowels that break most of the time right? i pulled my mirrors lenses off as it was a ball socket type set up, they all like that?

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #508
You had a walk on part seriously? lol...

its the little wax things that look like wooden dowels that break most of the time right? i pulled my mirrors lenses off as it was a ball socket type set up, they all like that?
Not sure what parts you mean, the kinda-sorta white/tan nylon parts?

I've had the mirror assembly out of the housing, but never took it apart. There are several threads here detailing what breaks and how to fix it, but I don't remember ever reading about what specific parts wear out and get sloppy, which makes the glass wobble as you drive.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Not sure what parts you mean, the kinda-sorta white/tan nylon parts?

I've had the mirror assembly out of the housing, but never took it apart. There are several threads here detailing what breaks and how to fix it, but I don't remember ever reading about what specific parts wear out and get sloppy, which makes the glass wobble as you drive.
i will see if i can take a pic maybe Celica mirrors are different

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #511
For Dave In Seattle.....R/C CAR!!

OK, I looked, shopped, talked to some people, and bought an ARRMA Senton Short Course Truck.

I got a discount for being a "Senior Citizen", and sold a bunch of stuff on eBay, so this was basically "free".

They have a few issues, like the steering servo breaks, and the servo saver is sloppy, but those problems are easily fixed with a better servo and a Kimbrough servo saver.

The grandson LOVES it, and I set the throttle limiter to 25%, and he drives it around. Not bad for a two year old!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,357 Posts
There was an Aarma at the track 2 weeks back on 6S and it was a handfull!
I suggested he go back to 5 S power.
I fixed his broken steering arms. The bolts need nuts on top.
He broke the front skid plate.
I removed the crappy servo save on my 10 th scale truck and ran a Kimbrough servo saver. WAY better.
The old old was jamming up with dirt and wouldn't work any more to "save" the servo.
Metal gears ones are good.:thumbsup:

Your truck looks "bashable". I beat the snot out of mine when Bob and I go to the local track and we play rough.
I'm on RC tech forum. Helpful.

https://www.rctech.net/forum/search.php?searchid=28581455

Electric off road...and dig around for your AARMA model.Short Course.Cool. Pretty,for now.You haven't put it on it's lid,yet.
I paint my bodies BRIGHT colors,so these old eyes can see 'em.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #513
The pix were taken when it had like one run on it.

Trust me, it's been on it's lid a bunch! And under the neighbors little Ford pick-up truck half-a-dozen times.....CRUNCH!

Just noticed it has a chunk missing on one of the lower front a-arms. It got that when I powered over the metal border between the front yard grass and the garden part of the yard. The skid plate under the nose is getting ground on from the street-to-driveway transitions they use here. Really weird "curbs" here, and it's had to get the Supra in and out of the driveway. Lots of fun to jump with little R/C trucks, though!

This one is the "550 Mega" brushed motor. It came with an 8.4V, 2800mAh NiMH battery. The ESC can handle up to 2S LiPo, and the 2S, 4000mAh pack I bought just about doubled the run time compared to the NiMH battery. I bought two more LiPo packs from SMC, and a HOTA DC6 Plus charger, so I'm all LiPo now.

Next thing I build will be a 6S rig, maybe a Speed Run car, as I find that hugely attractive. The original Fort Collins airport is closed and turned into an Industrial Park, but the runway is there, and it's still in pretty good shape. Funny thing is the local "Pro" R/C car and truck shop is located there! They have nice indoor tracks, and a huge inventory. I'm going to have to go there and check things out, and see if they've ever used the runway.

·
Premium Member
5,357 Posts
That 550 motor is fine. You may need to replace brushes,eventually. I'm surprised it will take a LIPO too.BIG difference.
I keep my LIPO backs in a fire proof safe. Don't leave the room when charging those,Jim. A LIPO goes off like a flare and water makes it much worse.
LIPOS are lighter and more power with no voltage sag. Maybe you can set the LIPO cut off setting. I use a LIPO alarm when the battery gets low.
Y
Yeah,lower front arms will get torn up because there is so much overhang on the "bumper',You can experiment with ride height for those curbs. I have broken chassis on cars parked in the street 20 to zero in.4 seconds will do it.
Ah,you are having some fun with it.
I had a pan car,I guess it was a Lola. It blew over a few times @ 30 MPH.Minimal suspension!
If that run way is lumpy,you will find out.
My big truck blows over easily. I run it towards me and it skids by on its lid.Terrible noise.
LIPO alarm:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=LIPO+alarm&_sacat=220&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=3
I buy 'em from China,but your LHS has 'em.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #515
You change a jumper on the ESC to go from NiMH to LiPo. It changes the LVC from 4.2V to 6.4V. It's only rated for a 2S pack. People who've run 3S packs have fried the 550 MEGA motor, but I think the ESC can take it.

Not going there! 2S with the brushed motor id fine for bombing around the neighborhood and amusing myself and the grandson.

If I get serious about this, I can envision spending around $2k for a Speed Run car and spares, and I'm not sure if I want to spend that money.....

·
Premium Member
5,357 Posts
You don't need a 3S!
No reason to upgrade that truck. Just have some fun.
This hobby can get really expensive!!!! Don't go there.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #517
I've been there. I had around $2k in my RC500 back in the 1980's, and those dollars bought more.

I have ZERO intentions of running a 3S in this. I sure don't need to duplicate others failures! I'm having fun learning all the new shiny stuff, like how it all goes together and works. Got a better set of bearings ordered for it, and a couple of other "Heavy Duty Service Parts" because the stock stuff breaks.

Got slightly taller tires to give me some more ground clearance, and a different pinion so I could gear it to make up for the taller tires. That and the batteries are about it. I'm into this for about $350 right now, and so far it's been worth every penny.

·
Super Moderator
10,280 Posts
hmmm your 2 year old grandson you say. Real RC cars have been on my hit list for shared farther/son hobbies for a long time (much before he was around lol). I had a cheap department store $150 one when I was a kid, and it was a blast till it broke, but I always wanted and couldn't afford at the time, to get into the hobby grade ones.

I just busted out the old Scalextric Slot Car track with him the other day. Its actually not that old of a set, in perfect shape and we have lots of cars for it. He caught on pretty quick, but his steering for RC cars and video games needs work. I'll have to bring him up to speed soon and maybe we'll get into these RCs sooner then later lol.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #519
Yeah, It All Started When..... I brought two of the $7 "RC Stunt Cars" home from Harbor Freight. I thought he and I could have some fun bashing around the family room with them.

WELL......they're not very controllable at all. It comes with a "Two Stick Radio", but all the radio does is let you chose which direction each of the rear wheels rotates, either full-on forward, or full-on reverse, and that's how you "steer" it.

You can "drive" it better in reverse, because as soon as you push both sticks forward, it pops a wheelie and takes off where ever it wants to go. They're fun for doing spins and watching them hop around and 'dance', but no, you can't race two of them.

I set the throttle limiter to 25% and dial the steering response waaay down on the "BIG" one, and he can actually drive it a bit. He goes forward, stops, turns the wheels, goes forward some more, stops, turns the wheels, etc, etc, etc.

He doesn't quite have the coordination to go and steer at the same time, but I'm pretty sure he gets the concept.

He'll probably run rings around me by the time he's five!

·
Premium Member
5,357 Posts
"Hobby grade". When I got into this hobby,it was great fun! Many parts correspond to full size cars:Suspension and shock parts were just like what I'm used to working on in my shop.I bought a few used 1/10th scale trucks and rebuilt and upgraded them.Caster,camber and toe in were all adjustable!
I described automotive parts by their hobby names,sometimes.I ran my pan car in my huge shop,until the cameras saw what I was doing. Oily cement floors made for some good drifting!

I was hooked.We raced at our local track for years and got to be pretty competitive. The allowed equipment in our class was not very closely controlled and it turned into "Battery and motor wars".

We got out of that scene and now,we just "bash." We have more fun that way,without the drama of the temper tantrums and shouting involved in RACING.
Trucks with bugger tires are a lot easier to drive and less fragile.

I would let younger people race around in my back yard,if I controlled the throttle and they steered.I stood behind them and they had the steering control,I ran the 100% throttle trigger.They learned quickly.
Never was I ashamed at how much money that I spent on my TOYS.
It was just too much fun.It still is.

At our local track,Bob and I giggle like school girls after a spectacular crash.More that a few times,we were bent over laughing so hard that we couldn't drive or see our trucks.
By far,the best hobby that ever was for me.
https://i.imgur.com/mtbGhrw.jpg

501 - 520 of 526 Posts