Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Dumb 1UZ-FE Swap Questions

3K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  mtymseharmer 
#1 ·
I have found a donor 1995 SC400. I have found motor mounts and bellhousing. As for electronics, I am still unsure. One thing that has been bothering me is the electronics. I am not even close to putting in the motor yet, its just that these questions have been keeping me up at night. Please bear with me and my silly questions.

1) What is going to happen to my accessories (head lights, tail lights, radio, etc) when I swap the motor? How will I get them to work with a new harness and ECU?

2) How is my supra key barrel going to start this motor?

#2 ·
my silly questions.

1) What is going to happen to my accessories (head lights, tail lights, radio, etc) when I swap the motor? How will I get them to work with a new harness and ECU?

2) How is my supra key barrel going to start this motor?
1) Nothing is going to happen. You're swapping the engine, engine harness, and ecu. Don't mess with your radio wiring, or your head lice, or tail light wiring. I've been in the middle of an engine swap and realized that I needed to roll down a window to move the car around a bit, so I hook up the battery and roll the window; the headlights, radio, and everything else work, too, when you have the engine wiring harness and ecu out.
2) Not sure about this silly question - I've got answers if I knew what you're getting at with this question. As above, you're swapping the engine, engine harness, and ecu; do you currently have a problem with your ignition lock cylinder? If it ain't broke, don't mess with it. If it's broke, replace it.

#3 ·
With an SC400 as your donor you will probably need to look at swapping out oil pans and sumps to an LS400. I believe the SC400 has the pan in the middle of the engine and for it to fit over the Supra cross member you need a front pan from an LS400.

#6 ·
Like any of these swaps you connect the current starter positive wire to the new starter. Then ground the engine block. The engine will then crank. These cars are really simple and unintegrated compared to the newer cars.

Really the first thing you should do in an engine swap is buy both wiring books and sit down in an afternoon and figure out the wiring first.

#7 ·
No worries, it was a fair question. Just keep in mind that there are several main wiring harnesses on the car, such as one for the engine functions, and another for other body accessories. You will probably just be swapping in a new engine harness of some kind (adapted stock or custom), other body harnesses will work fine. Ultimately you will be providing power to the coils, engine sensors, ecu, to run the engine. Your key on steering column is a separate circuit that spins the starter. Another circuit supplys power to fuel pumps when the key is on. As they said, these cars are pretty simple. There are cool videos of our members hooking up a battery and a fuel pump to a loose engine on the floor, starting it up and idling it, checking it able to run. Amazing to me too.

#8 ·
One more question: there are a couple o engine mounts and bellhousing adapters. Some of these adapters are just plates that are suposed to bolt to my existing bellhousing and others are new bellhousing. With this in mind, would the position of the engine vary with different adapters? So will I have to mount the motor mounts differently?

#10 ·
sholdn't have to mount them differently. On my 1UZ swap I used exsseive engineering's mounts (look under a cressida for the right ones) and then use 1uzfeswapkit.com for the bell housing adaptor. Those pretty much made them a bolt on kit.

#16 ·
It depends how you wire it up. When I was running the stock ecu I wire it into the factory Supra main relay. However, as I am wiring up my megasquirt right now I am keeping the factory fuse/relay panel there. I have taken out the efi and main relay as I don't need them anymore but still have all the headlight relays and fuses still in place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.