Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know its not a supra but i'm wondering if anyone knows how good a frame it has. does it have problems with flexing or twisting under hard manuevering or is it pretty solid to start with. i tried looking on DSM club sites and eagle talon sites but didn't see anything helpful just people advertising parts or saying join-r-club.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
structurally they are able to handle insane amounts of power - beyond what you'd expect a little 2.0L turbo to push out. the ONLY downside you're going to find in a 1g DSM (90-94) is reliability. the parts aren't cheap, and once you start throwing down some power, they become needed faster than you'd like. that being said, you can't beat that drivetrain... $1000 into a well-running 1g DSM WILL put you into the 12's. i have a secret obsession with owning one one day, but the supra bug has bit and i tihnk i might be stuck.

*looks at sig, realizes that there are two unlisted supras on it... for a total of 4.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
Check w/ Malloy... He used to have a Eagle Talon several years ago.. This was his next vehicle after he sold his 85 Blupra.

Can't remember if he said anything bad about the motor... He was less than thrilled about his tranny from what I recall.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
from what ive heard, if you like replacing trannies, then get a dsm...

dude, if you want to know about them, talk to blaine at prodrag performance on the west end
10031 - 167 St. Edmonton, Alberta.
Ph:(780)-443-3575
North American Toll Free #:1-866-773-6623

he had a dsm puttin down some decent power, still gets them come through his shop a bunch.

·
Heroic Autobot
705 Posts
I have a '94 Talon.

It sucks. I have replaced pretty much everything in the year I've owned it, and its not even a turbo- its the base model DL.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you want an all wheel drive turbo you are better off taking a look at the ALL TRAC Celica, that way you stay Toyota and you still get their reliability.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
All Trac drivetrains are weak and there is no aftermarket. Stick with the Talon at least there are fixes for the problems if you have the $$$$.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i was going to get a tsi awd then do exhaust, boostcontroller, front mount intercooler and piping, air filter, injectors and ignition. then pretty much just drive it. but i wanted to know if i'm was going to need subframe connectors or anything to handle well with all the extra power or if it was too much but i think it should handle good.

·
Premium Member
7,186 Posts
Forget the all trac, they are less reliable than a DSM.

DSM AWD turbo 5sp cars haul ass, with pennies invested. I was running 13.80s in mine with intake, cat back exhaust and raised boost. It was a fun as hell car to drive too, you can pull holeshots so hard on people they have no idea of what just happened. Handled good too. Just get a front strut bar, they really help.

engine-bulletproof and can make an easy and surprisingly reliable 400++ hp. Buschur racing has one going 174mph in the quarter mile, so its making in excess of 1300 hp. Not bad for a 4cyl ;)

build quality-if you get a stock one with low miles that wasnt beaten (good luck) it should stay together pretty well. The body cladding was kinda ghetto. I bought a '92 garage queen that was really really stock and clean. Paid 7k, sold it for 10k btw :)

http://www.celicasupra.com/talon/92tsi.htm

trans-the weak link. New they would crunch 2nd gear. With 100+ miles, they really suck ass, if they hadnt already went south. Good thing is, you can pay $1800 and have it rebuilt 1 time by John Sheperd (8sec AWD drag radial race car) and it will be plenty beefy for the weekend racer.

shifter- biggest POS to ever be installed in a car. Nothing could really make it feel good. I hated it, and that made me want to sell the car.

axles-another weak point, but when replaced with bigger units they are fine and will last.

99% of these cars are beat to shit hoopties that you should stay away from. Also, there was a high lemon ratio...

·
Registered
306 Posts
if you get the right one, i tihnk it was produced for a few months, with a race block and oil squiters?

·
Heroic Autobot
705 Posts

There's mine. Looks a lot like Malloy's, but I have one of the 'lemons'.

Truthfully it runs a lot better since I replaced pretty much everything....

·
Registered
99 Posts
SupraWes said:
All Trac drivetrains are weak and there is no aftermarket. Stick with the Talon at least there are fixes for the problems if you have the $$$$.
What are you talking about, they rallied these bad boys, of course theres aftermarket for them, and anyways, it doesnt take much to get one of these bad boys going either.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
tubinator said:
SupraWes said:
What are you talking about, they rallied these bad boys, of course theres aftermarket for them, and anyways, it doesnt take much to get one of these bad boys going either.
the aftermarket for the 1g and 2g dsm's is approximately 1 bazillion times larger than for the 4th, or even 5th gen all-tracs. parts cars are plentiful, and the engine is very common. the 3s-gte is an oddity in north america. just because they rallied the all-tracs doesn't mean they are strong... do you really think most of the pro-rally or wrc cars are using stock drivetrain components? ever heard of subaru's wonderful 2nd gear on the 5speed wrx?

a dsm, aside from not being a toyota, is a better, more reliable (based on parts availability and relative cost) option. the all-tracs also have nothing on the massive online DSM community (dsmtalk, dsm.org, there are tons).

THAT being said, 5th gen all-tracs are dead fucking sexy and i'd still love to own one.

·
Super Moderator
10,626 Posts
and alltracs are rare as hell. I don't know about in the states, but I see maybe 2 a year in the Vancouver lower mainland, of any generation. Kind of hard to a have a killer aftermarket for somthing that rare. 3sgtes aren't that bad to get parts for though, as they share the same motor as the mk2 mr2

·
Registered
247 Posts
you guys have got to be kidding me, have you checked out alltrac.net? There are plenty of parts to make you about as broke as you want to be and yes, you can get amazing amounts of power out of them. I know of two people running around 600hp in their daily drivers. The main problems with them as have already been stated are they are rare and expensive. The other problem is that the all wheel drive system makes them pretty damn heavy. Awesome cars and if I can find one for a decent price I'll probably own one some day.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
RWDCelicadude said:
you guys have got to be kidding me, have you checked out alltrac.net?
DSMtalk.org Members: 19,125

isn't that higher than the TOTAL number of all-tracs EVER imported to north america?

note that i left out dsm.org and a few others... 2gnt.com, etc.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i've only ever seen 2 all-tracs in edmonton, and i saw one for sale in a bargain finder for an exorbent price.
i was going to buy a 1st gen talon(1991 hopefully) because there a lot cheaper. i saw the perfect on in grade 12, tsi awd fully loaded, 120 some kms, for $2000 canadian! if i had the money i might have bought it. i saw a 94 today for $6000 for a 2-wheel drive non-turbo, insane.

·
Super Moderator
8,751 Posts
Most of the issues I've heard with all tracs are age related problems, rubber parts cracking under the heat and such. One problem with having such an uncommon car is your ability to find parts used is severally hampered. What happens if you break a tranny, good luck finding one in a j-yard. There are probably about 5 trillion DSMs sitting in a j-yards. The tranny they used in the Eclipses definetly suck though. My uncle brought a brand new Talon AWD turbo (one of the late90s ones), and it had the tranny replaced under warranty. That car was bone stock and never drag raced or anything. I drove quite a few of the late 90s style eclipses and was never impressed with them. They felt cheap going down the road and the FWD turbo ones had horrible traction problems like any high power FWD car. My 2 cents 8) . BTW does anyone know the All trac production #s, they've got to be really small.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
i think the altracs were imported to north america in the low 2000ish range.

not many... ive seen a few in town, one with a paper north dakota license plate, another with calgary tags, and one from about 10 blocks east of my house.

there were others, but i cant remember details.

nice cars, heavy as hell, and too rare to be much fun to own.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts