Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, to start off I kind of cheated... however a similar method can be used with less expensive equipment (An oven and a deep freezer over night).

Tools:
-2x Thermotron Temperature Chambers
-Dead blow hammer
-Pliers
-Flat nosed punch

Steps:

-Measure the new ball joint's outside diameter as compared to the original Toyota one. There is known issues with some aftermarket pressed ball joints having a smaller diameter than stock, causing loose joints. **Please see this thread**

-Place the lower control arms in one chamber, heating it up between 60-70 degrees C.

-Place the ball joints in the second chamber, cooling them between -40 to -60 degree C.

-Having the hammer at the ready, remove the control arms from the chamber with gloves and place on the bench. Very quickly remove the ball joints from the second chamber and drop them into the holes in the control arms. If the ball joints do not drop all the way to the bottom, immediately use the dead blow hammer to seat them fully (the ball joint will heat up very quickly, jamming itself fast!)

-Once both ball joints are seated fully in the control arms, place the external snap rings over the joints using the pliers to seat one end of the ring into the ball joint's groove.

-Then using the punch, work your way along the ring to fully seat it inside the groove. Make sure the whole ring is sitting inside the ball joints groove, this is a major part of the car's suspension and if it fails could cause a serious accident!

That's it! For those who do not have access to expensive scientific equipment :), you can use a deep freezer overnight for the ball joints and an oven set to warm or 150F. Before anyone ask any questions, YES it was Hawaiian shirt day and NO my nose isn't that big (it's just the angle!) :zzzzz:

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, we also have a kick-ass humidity chamber as well... I agree with every shop needs an oven. In my garage at home I have my old convection toast oven (extra large) for baking my high temp paint finishes. I'm pretty sure the wife would kill me if I used the full sized convection oven in the house for paint... "Why does my soufle smell like enamel?!?!?!"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts