Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been debating on this, and wanna get a general opinion.

I'm gonna most likely do the MAF conversion this coming weekend. When I do it, I am debating on whether or not to reset the ECU at the same time. My concern it this:

As we proved on Jason's car, the AFM on a stock car (which is what mine is right now, except for a RC filter that is) isn't much of a restriction and the MAF shouldn't be too much of a flow gain by itself with the stock pipes. So, in theory, there really shouldn't be any gain from resetting the ECU in this case. Plus, when I am adjusting the Fuel map, I don't want to be fighting the changes the ECU is trying to make at the same time as I am changing the fuel map.

... BUT, part of me wants to reset the ECU in the off chance that there MIGHT be some gain in doing it...

:?: :?: :?:
General opinion.. reset or no, and the reason you answer the way ya do?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Bob,
I would reset it just so you are modifying the "hard" defaults in the processor as it "learns" with the MAF setup. No sense in keeping what it has "learned" thus far with the AFM in place. You will just be extending the learning process to optimize the MAF increases.
I don't think the gains will be noticeable one way or the other,.. I just think it will speed up the learning curve to start with the baseline settings.
My $.02 of course,
Jamie

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
How do you reset the ECU?
Pull the battery cable or the EFI fuse for 30 secs or so. Also I would start with a reset ECU. This way you have a common reference point to go back to.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Youre probably gonna want to unhook the negative battery cable anyway while you wire the thing up so its gonna go by bye anyway. I may try to install this weekend also, got a notice today in the mail that it arrive and I have to go rescue it tomorrow after 8am. I wish the both of us luck.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, sadly, due to circumstances beyond my control, theres no way I will have time to install this this weekend... Soon as I can tho, it will be in, and I will post the pics and everything else I can on my new domain (thanks Stephen :) ). I'll make a thread on here when I do. Wes, if ya get around to installing it, good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts