Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

Ecu Wiring

4K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  mutantcolors 
#1 ·
I dropped a JDM 1uz-fe vvti in my 84 Supra (5 speed) it's stock so I want to run the ECM that came with the motor. For 4,500.00 I can get a new harness and a performance ECU. The whole car is not worth that. I know there is a person in the USA that can make me an ECU adaptor and send me the info to hook it up. If yall know of that person, please send me their info. Thanks,

#5 ·
Just buy the factory wiring harness out of a junk yard car. Take the time to pull it carefully you need the entire thing. It will cost you between 50 and 300 dollars US depending on how greedy the yard you get it from is.

This is far less money than an after market hokey mess that you will be tinkering with.

You can then do a little research find the needed strands and remove all the access, this will give you an ample supply of connectors, wiring, and all you need to do the job correctly.

Some where around here is a very good write up and teaching on how to solder, its a skill you will need to master to do this job to the degree you are wanting if you would like to drive this car in a reliable way.

I hope this opens you to a much less expensive option, as the after market stuff is great if you cant get anything else, but I have had better luck with building my own from factory stuff as the factory connectors just seem to work better and you have all you need to start with rather than being shorted by some company who is squeezing every penny to make a buck.

#10 ·
Best option is to not go through a company, but guys who do it as a hobby and charge expenses plus a little beer money. Not everyone has the mindset to work through multiple wiring diagrams and figure out the little things, it doesn't hurt to buy from others. Some of us do better work than the factory.

50 States, PM me with some pictures of the ECM and harness and I'll see what I can do for you.

#6 ·
He has one of the later, sweet ass vvti 4.3l 1uzs from the sounds of it. I hear those are a little trickier to get wired up with the factory wiring and a 5spd. I've seen a few local AE86s with them installed lately though so it should be doable.

#7 ·
That'd be a 3UZ, but same difference. They do get finicky with the wiring from what I understand. I'm telling ya, find this guy yotarip, he has done extensive work with multiple 1UZ swaps and has a MK III with the 4.3l 3UZ and pretty much does all the work himself.

Here's a video of his truck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPEHo4l2cWw

Here he explains some VVTi wiring trickery if you get an immobilizer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-SG2vchFXU

#9 ·
He specifically told me the 3UZ is more difficult to wire than 1UZ VVTi, but he has accomplished both nonetheless. I was asking bout UZing my truck and his opinion was, for the extra say 20lb ft, the extra wiring was not worth moving up to 3UZ unless you get a fantastic deal.

#11 ·
Got it running!

The ECU I got from Moscow( All4swaps.ru) works great with the stock wiring. I got a wiring diagram (98 LS400) from a pal that has an independent Lexus/Toyota shop to get my mind right. I had to search out the wires that control the right side vvt because they were in the chassis loom that was cut when the engine was yanked out in Japan. It came with a great pin out diagram. My Toque App would not communicate so I had to get ELMScan to work with the right hand drive JDM engine. I did not wire in the throttle motor or the magnetic throttle either. I'm only running an altenator, no other accessories. Made the throttle linkage work the butterfly directly with the cable.
Installed 2 right side shorty headers. The drivers side dumps out in front and ran the 2.25 exhaust under the balancer and back down the passenger side. The two exhaust run in to a Flowmaster with 2, 2.5 ins and a 3" out. This does two things, keeps the heat off your feet and you don't need the alter the steering shaft.
Trying a LS1 fuel pump kit for now. It has a filter/regulator set at 60psi. I'm hoping 93 octane is enough. It's got 220 lbs of compression. It feels strong revving it up in the garage. I'm hoping to do a test run soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.