Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was listening to a new FM station out of Milwaukee (I think it's new - I hadn't tuned in before) the other day and they edited Dire Straits Money For Nothing! The LakeFM substituted the word 'Effer' for ******. I have never in all the years heard that before. I don't listen to the radio much but that sure stood out from my CD version of the song. Do radio stations do that a lot? I've read about a guy named Howard Stern that says trashy stuff on the air and yet I've never heard of good old classic rock songs getting edited like this. Except Lola where they substitute cherry cola for Coca Cola but that was because of trademark infringement. I don't think ****** is trademarked.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Stern gets away with it because he's on satellite radio now. FCC doesn't have much if any control over that. Depending on the station, some songs are "editied" for air play around here as well.

·
Registered
92 Posts
fwiw, most stations that play money for nothing in the tampa area, completly remove that verse from the song!

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Isn't that the tune that has the lyrics: "The little *******' got his own jet airplane ... the little ****** is a millionaire"? I never did like Dire Straits all that much.

·
is awesome
2,736 Posts
Google something called Safe Harbor, and Prurient Interests. It's how Stern and Loveline, and all the other raunchy shows can still be on the air on Radio, but after 10pm and before 6am, when all the kiddies are asleep.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I'm a Dire Straits fan and never thought that in the context of the song that it was derogatory. It was more rhetorical than meant in a derogatory way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts