Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i did a quick search for this, and didnt find anything, so here goes:

if i want to remove the egr system, is it as simple as removing the egr valves and plugging up the vacuum hoses and egr port??

will this help my fuel economy or power?

·
Founding Member
6,425 Posts
The EGR valve is only open from about 1/4 throttle to 3/4 throttle so when you floor it, its closed anyway, i.e. it will make no difference in your peak hp. To disable the EGR, simply pull and plug the vacuum line that runs to the valve and it stays shut all the time. Log your milage for a couple of tankfuls before and after disabling the valve and report back to us. I've not tried this, but my guess is milage will not change since the exhaust gas is just dead air and hence no oxygen to burn and the ECU would know this. Of course the test is only fair if your EGR system is working properly and not already plugged with soote. Very common they are completely plugged by 100K miles anyway.

Phil D.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, i guess im gonna rebuild this engine, so it wont make any difference in milage, since i have no clue how well it does on a tank.

going to try out the parts engine, if it runs, ill plug the egr hose and try it out for a while. :)

·
Registered
13,123 Posts
www.google.com

Type: EGR

Click: "Google Search"

Result2: Wikipedia EGR Entry. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_gas_recirculation

...read it

Oh hey look, a entire section on EGR Deletion! OMG there is info on this thing called "the internet" and I too can use a search engine to find it!

wikipedia said:
EGR deletion
EGR deletion in diesel engines is considered justifiable by a wide range of people, including the environmentally conscious. Although deleting the EGR system results in increased NOx levels, hydrocarbon emissions, Particulates, Carbon monoxide and Carbon dioxide are drastically reduced. Furthermore, EGR deletion results in an increase in fuel economy as high as 25%. Exhaust gas recirculated back into the cylinders adds wear-inducing contaminants and causes an increase engine oil acidity, which can result in an inefficient, poorly running engine. The increased level of soot also creates the need for diesel particulate filters to prevent environmental contamination.
You suck.

--billyM

1 - 7 of 7 Posts