Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, im just wondering if there is any mk2 specific electric fans. if not what other fans have u used that will work? and how much do they cost, and how easy are they to install? thx

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
I would recommend getting the Derale dual 12" electric fans #16812. You can get them from Summit for like ~180 (not listed in the catalog but they can get them). You'll also need to get the relays and temp switch with this, so prepare to add another $30 or so). This was about the best fit I could find when I measured the radiator. Many fans are too thick to clear the accessory pulleys. A lot of the dual fans are also too wide for the MkII radiator. The MkII radiator is more "square" than a lot of the factory radiators I measured. You might also want to consider a larger amp alternator as well. The factory alt doesn't provide a whole lot of spare juice, so you might not get anywhere near the CFM rating they advertise. If you live in a really hot area you might want to stay with the mechanical fan.

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
Those flexilites are close to 2" wider than the MkII rad. What really screws things up is that you then have to mount the fan on the extended part where the factory shroud mounts because of the extra width. That extended lip on the factory radiator is a PITA for mounting a fan. It adds about 1" to the thickness which puts them in the 3 3/4" which puts it right into the AC clutch. 3" thickness when mounting it on the core is about as thick as I'd go. I tried to mount a electric fan from a Taurus that was 4" thick and it completely overlapped the 1st 2 fan belts. Nice fan BTW too bad I would have had to remove the radiator to get the belts off. Anybody need a Ford Taurus fan? :D The Derale fan I mentioned is pretty darn close to the MkII core size.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thx for all the help.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I'd like to note that just this evening I put my stock fan back in. On hot days with the A/C running, the temps would slowly rise with the e-fans. :(

I much prefer the look and sound of an electric fan, but I can't have rising temps. The power gain from ditching the stock fan was minimal, so I'm not too heart broken.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I'm running twin electric fans from like autozone that mount through the fins. Both are 12's with a termostat. They run very well. I just need more rad because of the turbo. :roll:

·
Registered
34 Posts
The electric fan for a 90-95 Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable with the 3.8 V6 fits on my 22re radiator almost like it was designed for it. It has a two speed fan, and can be had pretty cheap from a wrecking yard. See the full writeup on www.yotatech.com and just search for Taurus Fan install. My parts total came to: 60.00 for the fan and 40.00 for the thermostatic relay kit. The fan was put on a 3.0 V6 truck with no problems as well.
-Toddb

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
I tried installing one of those Taurus fans on my MkII, its too deep for the MkII. I had it installed but it completely overlapped the 1st 2 fan belts. You'd have to remove the radiator to to get at the front of the engine. It also draws almost 30 AMP at the high speed setting as well, so upgraded alternator is required. Although with any e-fan on a MkII you should upgrade the alt since there is much headroom on the factory alt (its actually probably undersized). Its too bad because the Taurus fan moves an ungodly amount of air compared to the aftermarket fans (which suck compared to most OE fans).

·
Registered
34 Posts
That is a bummer, because its a decent fan, and the price is right.
-Toddb

·
Super Moderator
10,546 Posts
SilverMk2 said:
Those flexilites are close to 2" wider than the MkII rad. What really screws things up is that you then have to mount the fan on the extended part where the factory shroud mounts because of the extra width. That extended lip on the factory radiator is a PITA for mounting a fan. It adds about 1" to the thickness which puts them in the 3 3/4" which puts it right into the AC clutch.
Then you got the wrong one. Its the 210 that Flex a lite recomends for all generations of supras. They are exactly 1/2 an inch wider then they need to be for our rad. That just means you trim 1/4 of an inch off each side and then they fit perfectly. Both Don Culbertson and myself have run these fans in mk2s, beautiful fit, awesome cooling, and a wicked low profile. It makes it so much easier to work on a mk2 with the stupid stock shroud gone and all of that space in front of the engine.

Also the fan runs just fine with the stock alternator, it makes all of the cfm claimed. The problem is the stock alt doesn't have enough juice to support the fan + stereo + wipers + heater + defroster etc like my wife found out one night on the way home, cooked the stock alternator. A mk3 one should solve that problem nicely.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts