Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I have seen some info about big manufacturers building electric turbos. Basically it's a turbo as usual but the hot side is a big electric motor instead of using the exhaust gasses.

I know some car manufacturers are trying to use this technology too i.e. Volvo has produced a tri-turbo engine with one of the turbos running off an electric motor and used to spool the other 2 turbos.

Some benefits of the top of my head:
- Lower temperatures
- Mount it anywhere instead of on exhaust manifold
- Electronically control the turbo through the ECU or standalone
- Easier installation
- No lag

Wanted to know other peoples opinion on this, I think it's a great idea.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
When cars have larger battery banks these will work wonders. Think of it kind of like the KERS system on f1 cars in that you can't just blast it all day, just a little help when you need it. Modern turbos are already pretty efficient, maybe if these come down to a reasonable price it could be worth us shade tree guys retrofitting them.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When cars have larger battery banks these will work wonders.
I think the electrical system can be easily upgraded to run the electric motor for the turbo, plus another advantage is that you can switch off the turbo when it is not needed e.g. slow driving in the city (we have 40 km/h speed in Sydney City now, barely above idle), minimising the load on the electrical system.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Must have been a boring topic that I started here. Oh well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I think switching the turbo off would be rather difficult. If it's not spinning, then it will disrupt airflow. Unless it has some type of clutch setup that can disengage the turbine, or a bypass flap in the intake (Newer mazdas use these to bylass the silencer in the intake plenum).

-Dustin-

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The electric motor replaces on of the turbines. I guess that does make it a supercharger. Except it's not belt driven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
I think there is a future for it. Like for the steering, it could be arrange to use power only when needed.
It has some good advantages. There is more an more electric guizzmos in cars today

·
Registered
102 Posts
This idea has been around for decades. The main issue is it requires about 1000-1200w to drive the motor to get any kind of boost. Even with superchargers using belts connected to the crank, it requires 20-40hp just to spin the supercharger at any decent levels of boost.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
This idea has been around for decades. The main issue is it requires about 1000-1200w to drive the motor to get any kind of boost. Even with superchargers using belts connected to the crank, it requires 20-40hp just to spin the supercharger at any decent levels of boost.
This is your first post? Post some info about your ride, pics would be nice :p

·
Registered
35 Posts
Dont know if anybody will read this... But in the future i believe all of you will eat your words... The electric turbo is here to stay and will only improve with time

"And one day" (when high discharge capacitors get better) (and the actual "elec. Turbo/s.c." can push 2000 cfm)

You "non believers" will eat your words... ?

.... "Torque amp" seems to have have promise now and should only get better once they start competing with other manufactures...

(Garret starts production on "elec" turbos/s.c. in 2021)

·
Super Moderator
10,344 Posts
Ok, this thread is only 6 years ago and Torque Amp is pretty similar to the OP ;)

Thats cool Garret is getting in the game. TA is awfully tempting as it is. Would be pretty decent for autox.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts