Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen electric turbos on ebay for a couple hundred bucks claiming 35 to 65 hp gain,is this real or just a joke?

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
tomsupra85 said:
I have seen electric turbos on ebay for a couple hundred bucks claiming 35 to 65 hp gain,is this real or just a joke?

Dont waste your money on that shit, go get in intake pipe/air filter from Rabidchimp.com instead

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
this has been discussed dozens of times... batmobile, i suggest you read those before offering horsepower numbers to people who may not know better.

its too bad our poor admin is so busy or id ask for a forum mod to make the words "electric supercharger" automatically edit to "waste of money"

:)

·
Registered
211 Posts
My teacher helped develop roller-bearing engines with John Lingenfelter and also helped to design the current engines in Top Fuel cars. He has developed an electric turbo that uses a t-25 housing and compressor wheel that uses an AC motor from a wasing machine that has been worked to spin up to 11,000 rpm. The motor runs straight off the alternator and uses an inverter about the size of an intercooler that's mounted above the intake. When he activates the turbo he gets instantaneous boost (about 11 psi) for any amount of time that he chooses. He's trying for a patent right now....should be pretty cool when it's finally done.

·
Registered
930 Posts
That's got to put an awful load on the motor.
I reckon it would consume more power than it creates.
If I remember physics, you can't get more power out than you put in.
(conservation of energy)

·
Registered
13,030 Posts
...yep Ross, completely right, until the efficency of the mechanical-electrical and electrical-mechanical conversion comes up, no love. ...why we pull power from an expendable byproduct of power, EXHAUST! Exponential power is beeeautiful.

t25 with a standard compressor wheel at 11,000 rpm wont boost on anything more than a liter or so. You're looking at 6-7x that rotational speed to boost on a good running 5m (if I remember the efficiency chart), and NOT 11psi... you did mean a re-designed compressor right? Please?

Batmobile, dont offer numbers uless you can back that shit up.

--BillyM

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Let's put some numbers on this. Pressure x CFM = Power. So assuming 300 cfm (250-300 hp engine) and 11 psi we get 14.4 hp that the battery or alt has to supply. (1 hp =746 Watts) So a 14.4 volt bat or alt has to supply 746 Amps to run the compressor. And this assumes 100% efficiency which is impossible with today's technology. Or think of it as a 15 hp motor for weight and size. They're big and heavy.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Yoterfan said:
My teacher helped develop roller-bearing engines with John Lingenfelter and also helped to design the current engines in Top Fuel cars. He has developed an electric turbo that uses a t-25 housing and compressor wheel that uses an AC motor from a wasing machine that has been worked to spin up to 11,000 rpm. The motor runs straight off the alternator and uses an inverter about the size of an intercooler that's mounted above the intake. When he activates the turbo he gets instantaneous boost (about 11 psi) for any amount of time that he chooses. He's trying for a patent right now....should be pretty cool when it's finally done.
:? A washing machine motor reworked to spin at 11,000 RPM?? That must be quite a sight to see! I can't help but picture motor parts flying everywhere at that speed. The centrifugal force on the rotor alone would be tremendous. My guess is that there's more to the inverter than just a simple DC to AC conversion. Perhaps a gated electronic variable frequency motor drive is included in the design?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Possibly Dave. He won't give us the actual specs or how it exactly works because he hasn't patented it yet. But MAN that thing sounds nasty when it's activated. His S10 has a stock LT4 vette motor in it with 205 rear tires (stock) and a T56 tranny. The truck without the "turbo" runs an 11.2 at 128mph. 1st through 3rd gear are worthless. :twisted: With the turbo the truck ran a 10.4 at unknown mph...(he didn't tell us). I'll try to get some picks for you guys.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
im not trying to be a dick... nor is billy.

im just gonna say that just because someone else said it, doesnt mean its right.
wouldnt you feel bad if tomsupra85 bought one of those things after reading your post where you suggested he would get 10-15 hp?
i dont know about you, but id feel pretty guilty.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I think the motor in a washing machine is 2/3 hp.
Well in Australia anyway, and I'm talking domestic, not industrial.

I just don't see how a motor of less than 1hp can make any significant boost.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I'de say I agree with the others that an electric turbo is a very bad idea. I also found in a google search that it's a uber huge scam. Basicly if you wanted a eBay electric turbo you can go to your local marine and boat supply store and buy a billage pump that pumps water... it's the same thing. ALso there's been a few stories where the plastic fins inside the electric turbo have broken off and went into the motor because the "turbo unit" couldn't keep up with the air demand of the motor. I'de say spend an extra small fortune and get a ct-26 turbo and rebuild kit for the turbo + the extra stuff needed for the turbo swap and have a real turbo car. Hell jus wait a while and save enough for a 7mgte motor swap.
Either way you're going to be spending a lot of money and time with your baby(car) so just do it right the first time and buy a real turbo =-)

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
_HOT_M16 said:
...it isn't the bilge pump, but rather the blower fan, has a 3" inlet and outlet, and a small electric fan in the middle.... Definate restriction, DO NOT ATTEMPT.

--BillyM
Ahh last year they were using the marine bilage pumps. Haha, ebay is a damned joke. It's best to get stuff from star members and avoid turd products now days. Took me 3 days to find a Megan Racing fartcan to pop on my Chimp turbo back exhaust (sorry folks, magnaflow doesn't float my boat, friend has teh Megan Racing fartcan on his MKIII sounds sweet).

They've got the knock off RRFPRs, the old Apexi SAFC (with analogue knobs) for like $103. No name BOVs are going for like $75 and all the products have the most god aweful shipping rates.

I try to leave eGay alone at all cost unless I see actual pictures of the product and a reasonable price... which is the way it's supposed to be but the idiots are taking over that little by little too...

·
Registered
13,030 Posts
....no, they weren't. I have installed many-a-bilgepump, and a few bilge blowers. I have never in my life seen a bilge pump with more than a 1" outlet (and that was a $480 pump from a 72ft boat), and would never even begin to pass any ammount of air.

...blowers, on the other hand, may feel as if they produce an impressive ammount of flow when in the open connected to a power source, and come in a variety of sizes between 2-4" outlet and inlets, perfect for fooling people into placing in their intake stream and cost less than $15.

--BillyM

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sounds like Ill be getting a real turbo!Im not looking to get scamed,any one want to sell me a turbo kit for a reasonable price i dont have 3500.00,or maybe a 7mgte.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts