Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 82. I started noticing that my car will sometimes almost shut off when driving and then catch it self and stay on. My fusible link was getting hot the yellow one. So I replaced it with another one and the same problem. I also noticed that my igniter is getting really hot. And also EFI and Main relay's are getting hot that are in the fuse box under the hood. I've check grounds to engine block, body. Out of ideas can anyone help a some.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
What is your alternator putting out? You can use the batt gauge in the cluster, but I do not trust them for diagnostics. If you have a multimeter, use it to check what the batt is charging at, if you do not have a multimeter, go get one, the main one I use for working on cars was $26 at Wally-World and it is still running strong after 3 years of hell that I put it through.

·
Registered
515 Posts
That's normal for those items to be warm.
If something were wrong, the fuses / link would pop.

Also, those are healthy voltage readings for your Alt. Check for AC current across the battery. Should be less than 0.5 volts AC. If there is more, your ECU may be getting "confused" and shutting off.

Under what driving conditions does it choke up?
Cruise, accelerate, WOT, decelerate, etc.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It sometimes does it when I'm either accelerating or decelerating. And what it does, is it will shut off the interior power for a split second and then come back on. The yellow fusible link had like powder over it and on one side the plastic melted to the wire. And will check on the ac current as well.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Hmm...
Pics of the "powder"?
It may be some funky battery residue, or corrosion. Either way, your fusible links should be wrapped.
As for the intermittent loss of power, hopefully someone else with first hand experience can chime in soon.
Do you loose power to the interior lights only, or does power shut down to the entire vehicle?
Try to take a video if possible.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The powder is white as if the wire is getting hot and burning. The car shuts off . The interior lights all go off. But headlights,. taillights, and flashers all work. Then in five minutes it will allow me to start it up again.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was having similar issues with my 82 and it turned out to be corrosion on the battery terminals. The stock terminals on the 82's are very prone to corrosion. I would suggest cleaning the connection to the battery with a wire brush, then take the wires off of the terminals and clean that connection up as well. When i did this I also flipped the clamp that holds the wire upside down so it would squeeze more wire surface area. That solved the problem for me and I hope this helps you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts