Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fairly new to the forum, tried the search, but still no dice. Here goes. I have a 85 supra I luckily bought from a older guy that babied it. My problem is it ran GREAT for about 8-9 months and it started to have a fuel flow problem when I went to slow down at a stop sign. Weird, yes so I let out on the clutch gave it gas and at a constant rpm it would cut in and out. Two weeks of this go by and I can't get the time to work on it(i'm in the Air Force). Then my brother takes it to drop off my girlfiend and it dies at the stop light. Tried to start it and it won't start. Noticed that there are no lights coming on inside the car whatsoever. Pushed the car back home, and tried to jump it. No good. Then bought new battery. No good. Then redid the terminals on the cables at the battery. Started up and ran! Took it around the block then parked it. Twenty minutes later, tried to start it and it wouldn't start? WTF! So read through the manual I got from toyota and it said something about the IC on the alternator? Any how will try to change that out soon. If now work will try the startor after that. If that doesn't work I am lost. Any help with this would greatly be appreciated.

·
Registered
79 Posts
agreed the battery is the heart of the electrical system if the cables are corroded try to clean them with a little water and baking soda. while your there check the fusible link wires coming off of the pos. terminal I had one of these burn up causing a similar condition and the alt not to charge.
don't forget about the ground side. get a repair manual to find all ground locations and make sure they are clean and tight, if you find rust at the bolt holes scuff it with sandpaper then reinstall the bolt the hit it with a squirt of spraypaint to keep it from rusting again. hopefully its something simple
p.s. if you dont have a decent multimeter you should as it can save you a lot. remember spend time checking things before you spend money throwing parts at it. good luck and let us know how you do

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Sounds like you have a earth problem :p ,

Though I agree with above comments, there is something wrong with the wiring, make sure that the car doesn't have an alarm, if it does then that may be your problem... I don't much about the factory alarms as in Australia we didn't get such an alarm...

Cheers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Feel so stupid now. A friend and I were looking at putting a alternator in and noticed a lot of corrosion on the negative terminal and cable. Cut the wire back, put new negative terminal on and started her up!!!!! Now she runs like a champ again!! Thanks for all the help guys.

·
Premium Member
7,756 Posts
Doc give us some details on your new MKII. Production Date (in Drivers door) color, interior, miles, auto or 5spd, L-type or P-type (flares) and any mods??

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
DOCMKII said:
Feel so stupid now. A friend and I were looking at putting a alternator in and noticed a lot of corrosion on the negative terminal and cable. Cut the wire back, put new negative terminal on and started her up!!!!! Now she runs like a champ again!! Thanks for all the help guys.
Hey man don't feel to bad.....smae EXACT thing happend to me when I swaped in a new MKIII alt.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here you go AJ: my new addiction/baby/money pit is a P type(fender flares and no digital dash) VIN number JT2MA67L1F0167471 Built in June 1985. Has 216,187 miles and is a 5 speed. Don't know which plant it was assembled at by lookin at the VIN. She was a beautiful silver, but time has faded and chipped the clear coat. There are many visible pits and scratches, but for the most part the paint is intact. She doesn't have the usual rust either. Does however have some rust on the sun roof (about the size of a half dollar). No rust on the fenders, wheel well, or hatch at all. No rust in the spare tire space either. Does however, have the typical interior blemishes. Contemplating on trying a little DIY on them. Also can't decide whether I want to restore the covers on my seats or just get new seats. All I know is that it is time to get rid of the old, nasty duct tape that is on the top of the back seats. Should have done that when I first got her back in January. As far as mods, she is completely bone stock under the hood except for a K&N style intake filter. Top half of the engine was rebuilt about a year and a half ago. Purchased her with new belts, hoses, alternator and plugs and wires. I did however come across a nice deal on a sweet speaker set up. Two Kicker twelve's in a box, 1200 Watt Kicker amp and a Lightning Audio 1 Farad Cap. Also added a brand new (five months ago) Alpine head unit.
As far as future plans, I WANT A 89+ 7MGTE SWAP!!!!!!! Trying my butt off to get it started with the help of Dave Sheppard. If I could just sell the speaker set up, could at least get the swap started. Or if any of you guys would want to swap me for 7M parts I might do that. See these threads:
http://www.celicasupra.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11035
http://www.celicasupra.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10855&highlight=

·
Premium Member
7,756 Posts
Doc, sounds pretty cool welcome to the forums!! Thanks for the info on the 85 :wink:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts