Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess thats what you get for buying a 24 year old car with many previous owners. Someone did a hack job in the wiring, and Im trying to figure things out. Problem: Headlights do not lift, and do no light up. Theres also a few things that Im not sure of. I will let the pictures speak.
1: Are those white wire spliced from the factory, or did someone do this? What are these for? They obviously carry a lot of power because of their gauge.

2: What is this for? Notice one wire broke off. Is this needed?

3: From searching, I found out that the square one is the main/alternator fuse (correct me if Im wrong) and the round one is for the headlights? Did anyone test a good one for resistance? Notice: Red wire in background was run to a relay, and to a switch inside, to operate headlights (not the motors though..) by the last owner. Trying to bring things back to stock.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
dude, try to get a used front harness,... all my wiring harnesses (all of them) , had some issues because the previous owner didnt want a/c they cut the wires, put different speakers and cut wires, until mine got a short a while ago, i had to remove the whole dash n is not funny.

that front wiring harness splits right there where is the battery and goes all way to the headlights, ac fan, headlight motors, horns and ends under the air filter.

i just got a used one from one of the member in this forum, they r cheap n is better than try to figure out by yourself,

good luck, if u want some pics froma good one or used one let me know, i have it right here in the basement.

·
Registered
683 Posts
3: From searching, I found out that the square one is the main/alternator fuse (correct me if Im wrong) and the round one is for the headlights?
I believe that is correct. Both of them connect to the battery positive terminal. You might want to open the square black one and see if the wires are in good condition or not, mines were a little corroded inside. Lots of my connectors that are around the battery area are corroded from the battery acid or fumes. Also download the electrical wiring diagram and that should help you out a lot.
http://forums.celicasupra.com/showthread.php?t=51304

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
the little square box is the capacitor for the ignitions system. something to do with flyback voltage from the secondary-primary ignition circut.

will

·
Registered
131 Posts
I just had the same problem rebuilding the headlight re-tractors. This changes according to if you have and alarm on the car.

The connectors were destroyed and had to put new connectors on the re tractor motor. two wires power the the motor and three smaller gage wires go to the relays from the re tractor motor Drum. Here's the coding on my 84

Wires on the motor:
White wire with Black Stripe Negative wire to chassis of motor
White wire with Red Stripe Positive wire to motor
1. Green
2. Blue All three go to the rotating drum in the motor back to the relay
3. Yellow

From the wiring harness:
Solid Green Wire positive power from the relay.
White Wire with Black Stripe negative wire.
1. Green wire with Red Stripe
2. Green Wire with Black Stripe From the Relay
3. Green wire with White Stripe

This is how they connect

Solid Green Wire from Harness connects to White Wire with Red Stripe on Motor
White Wire with Black Stripe from Harness connects to White Wire with Black Stripe on motor

1. Green Wire with Red stripe from Harness connects to the Yellow wire on the motor Drum.
2. Green Wire with Black stripe from Harness connects to the Green wire on the motor Drum.
3. Green Wire with White stripe from Harness connects to the Blue wire on the motor Drum

Test to see if the motor works by giving it 12v from the battery or a charger
+ White wire with Red stripe on the motor
- White wire with Black stripe on the motor

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will the engine run without this? How do I know if I have an alarm (I know 85s have them, but seeing the rest of the car, who knows if its still there)
EDIT: Never mind about the black box, just realised its only for the radio. Omarty, if you can get pics the would really help.
the little square box is the capacitor for the ignitions system. something to do with flyback voltage from the secondary-primary ignition circut.

will

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
POSITIVE (+) WITH SQUARE BOX, GOES ALL WAY TO THE STARTER.

THEN GOES TO THE FUSE BOX AT THE ENGINE BAY NEXT TO THE BATTERY

JUST ONE PIC FOR BOTH HEADLAMPS LAMPS & MOTORS, AND HORN

THEN ARE SOME CONNECTOR, THEY JOIN THE END OF THE MAIN HARNESS.

AND ENDS AT THE ALTERNATOR.

HOPE THIS CAN HELP YOU.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, it does help. Just a few Q'S
THEN GOES TO THE FUSE BOX AT THE ENGINE BAY NEXT TO THE BATTERY

JUST ONE PIC FOR BOTH HEADLAMPS LAMPS & MOTORS, AND HORN
In the first pic, theres a ground loop with two white wires w/ black stripe. These go to the brown L-shaped connector (also in picture). What is this for? Mine is cut and doesnt connect to anything.
In the second picture, what is the white connector on the far left for?

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
that loop grounds in the bolt that holds the fuse box, that brown connector goes to the fuse box for the MAIN and TAIL relays. ( not sure if they r for those relays i just know that the L connector is underneath those relays).

and the white connector i guess is for the a/c fan.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok. On mine, the loop ground is GOES to the brown connector. The white connector I actually have two, one with each headlight bunch...

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
well i dont know where that loop goes, but if you track them down is good, yeah each side have the white connector, one for the ac fan & the other is for the temp sensor i guess.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok thanks. I just pulled my harness out, and removed all the tubing, tape. I was wrong about the ground loop. Ill try to take pics.

·
Registered
683 Posts
zupax85:

Can you trace this black alternator connector and tell me where the other end of the connector is located in the engine compartment?

The other end should look like this.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So here is what I am dealing with. Can anyone tell me if the splices are in the correct places, and are like that from factory? What is that long yellow wire with the connector labeled 'What is this' for?

Here is another problem, near the battery. Look at the splices in the wires. Normal?

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
dude, u think im going to peel off all this freaking tape???? fifthorda can help you, all the wires are different, there are no two identical wires on the harness, just find the same color.

·
Registered
683 Posts
What is this?
I think this is for the oil pressure sensor. I just unplugged this connector recently also. It was in the same loom as the black alternator connector so it goes by the passenger side strut tower.

zuprax85:

No you don't have to peel off all the tape, I just want to know where the end connector of the black alternator connector is located. There are 3 wires going into that black alternator connector. Black, Yellow, and Black. One of the Black wire should be thicker than the other Black wire.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts