Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there any way that you can tell what year your engine is by looking at the code on the engine? i think theres a spot where its says 5MGE stamped on the block and then beside it there is a set of numbers. do these numbers tell us anything about the engine?

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
The numbers are a sequential build number. I know this applies to domestics, but I'm not sure if it applies to Toyotas as well, BUT, supposedly, the sequential build number on the block is supposed to match up w/ the last ~6 - 8 numbers that are on your VIN#. If that's the case, then this is one clue that you still have your original motor, or if it's been replaced.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i already no the motors been replaced, i just want to know what year the motor is.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
In that case, I don't know of any other way "visually" to tell the difference (via year), other than to look at the usual electronics stuff (ie: round TPS vs. square TPS, the vacuum advance distributor that only came on the 82's, etc etc...). As for any identifiable markings on the shortblock, I don't know of any.

AFAIK, the only other "simple way" (yeah right) is to start pulling things apart. Inside of intake pleniums would either be the round ports, or the D shaped ports. Pull the head off & look at the piston tops. It's either the flat tops, or the domed versions. Or course, it still does not narrow down the exact year....

GM's use casting markings on the outside of their blocks that can help identify the year it was made. Anyone know if Toyota does this as well??

Others???

·
Super Moderator
8,413 Posts
CJSREDPRA said:
GM's use casting markings on the outside of their blocks that can help identify the year it was made. Anyone know if Toyota does this as well??
Others???
I haven't noticed anything other than the block side stamping.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts