Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, today I take her for the first drive after the rebuild (besides running the transmission on jacks)

For that 1,000 miles break-in I have heard a LOT of opinions from different people.

I want to get opinions/truths from you guys who have actually driven your cars after an engine rebuild.

here are different things I have been told
-- Change the oil @ 500 miles
-- Change the oil @ 1000 miles
-- Drive her calmly around town before 700-1000miles (this would take forever)
-- Drive her on the highway, don't go over 55
-- Drive her on the highway, change speeds 55-65 a lot, don't use cruise control.
-- When you take off from a stop light, don't put the revs over the rev amount you have @ 55mph.

There is a couple more I can't remember. Anyways, what are your thoughts? i want to take well care of this engine, I need it for college :)

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
that sounds about right treat the motor like glass for the first 3000 miles this ensures proper ring, valve, bearing, seating etc

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
here's the basics: go about it how you wish... engine break in revolves around wearing the rings to match the cylinder walls for a good seal.

you want high load (to apply pressure to the rings). this is so the rings will wear before bore cross hatching has been worn away, an dulled.

- keep engine speed low. you do not want to glaze the cylinder walls (much like glazing brake pads before they are broken in properly). keeping heat low is important.

- vary engine speeds. avoid the highway. decelerating in gear is a good thing, as it helps purge the metal slurry from the cylinder walls.

-frequent oil and filter changes. I changed mine at 20,100,,1500 and 3000km. you won't believe the metal shavings that come out.

- many suggest using straight 30W oil, since it has very few viscosity modifiers in it and includes the maximum amount of base stock oil. I chose to use cheap 5w30 wal-mart oil.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
you won't believe the metal shavings that come out.
you are right, i was like :ugh: did i do something wrong? but then i realized it was the metal shaving, did my intervals at 100 , 500 , 1000 miles.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
659 Posts
I agree with 100, 500, 1000 oil changes then normal....no high rpm, no extended same speed, town best with LIMITED highway for first 500...the way they recommended back in the day, or go by the old saying: "break them in fast, they run fast....break them in slow, they run slow" old racers saying..lol

MOONPIE...sent you a pm..mike

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
by high load I mean hammer the gas! just don't rev the hell out of it, and after every throttle application, let it idle down, in gear.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Ya, thats what I did on my 7M, from Tire Shredder(Steve)'s posts. LOTS of WOT and decel, but not too high in RPMs. On a turbo motor, unhook the WG arm so the wastegate door stays open.

·
Registered
379 Posts
i usually just drive below 3000 rpm for the first 1000 miles and then change the oil and have fun after that. oh yeah, don't use synthetic oil for break in.

·
POTATO
17,326 Posts
did the speed up/slow down in different gears for about the 1st 20 minutes my 6MGE was on the road... after that, I flogged the hell out of it. Waited a few hundred miles to get on the highway and maintain a constant speed. "Hard" break-ins ftw.

·
Premium Member
6,136 Posts
Hard Break-In FTW. I never unhooked my wastegate, but 5-6lbs of boost was all it saw first 1K. 5 miles up and down a steep hill are worth a lot of freeway miles during break in. Hammer it up hill, coast at different speeds in varying gears on way down.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hard Break-In FTW. I never unhooked my wastegate, but 5-6lbs of boost was all it saw first 1K. 5 miles up and down a steep hill are worth a lot of freeway miles during break in. Hammer it up hill, coast at different speeds in varying gears on way down.
I drive up a huge hill on the way home.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
exactly what I did with my 5m turbo...but was always kept to a low low cause I didnt have fuel tuned for it.

·
POTATO
17,326 Posts
my car doesn't smoke at all, and 199 ft/lbs of torque out of an NA isn't bad either :D

werd. 188 ft/lbs isn't bad out of a stock head 12 valver either ;)

My engine stopped smoking the 1st day we were driving it, pretty soon after we did the initial accel/decel. Hasn't smoked since, and holds 230 psi in every cylinder last I checked.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts