Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope u guys can help me, I was driving home from work yesterday and the check engine light came on and the engine died, no warnings ....starter rotates and battery seems good, getting 12v, I think it is the distributor....but not sure and u guys get me on the right path

Thank you all......Chris

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
You say that the starter is spinning the motor, but it's not firing???

1 thing you can easily do..... Remove distributor cap, crank the starter & see if the rotor is spinning around.... If the rotor is not spinning around... Remove the upper timing belt cover & see if the timing belt is still in 1 piece... Or if it has broken, or has disintigrated... (Some of us got to see a disintigrated timing belt on a 6M in Vegas last year... Not a pretty sight).

Good luck!!!! Any idea as to when the timing belt was last replaced????

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just got the timing belt replace about 8-10 months ago.....I got the car to my local shop, Ill let u guys know what the problem was....

Update: the distrib is bad, it locked up and damaged cam gear and shaft gear is attached too, how much does this type of repair cost......

Chris....

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Ouch! Sounds like you're going to need to replace the intake cam and repair the distributor and find out what caused the distributor shaft bushings/bearings to run dry. That's a bummer!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Woah, Dejavu! The same thing happened to me about 2 years ago. I fixed mine for $100 including the $50 towing bill. If you can go to a junkyard and find some parts it may not be too bad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the intake cam is complete shot...........I need to replace both.....the car has 260,000 miles on it.........this was going to happen sooner or later, but thanks guys for all the advise. I just bought my wife a 2004 matrix(yesterday) (standard model,automatic) that is a sweet little car......I think my 84 restore project is on the back burner for awhile until funds become more available....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts