Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, got a question for ya. Just bought an 86 p-type 5spd and i'm having engine problems. At first i thought it was a misfire at 5,000, but after driving it around i came to believe that the engine was just shutting off at around 5,000 rpms. When it hits 5, it would slam me forward, seems almost like a rev limiter. I took it to a friend of mine to do a tune up, he cleaned the injectors, new ngk plugs and looked over the car. He put it up on the scope and revved it to 5 grand and she starts to lean out really badly and the engine just cuts off. The catalytic converter also gets extremely hot and starts smoking around 5 also. The engine light does come on, but only when you rev and goes out immediately, and does NOT throw a code. So we got to thinking that the ecu is screwed up.

any thoughts on this and any suggestions as to what to do or where to get a fairly cheap ecu?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Maybe it's starving for fuel? Stick a pressure gauge on it. Might just be a clogged filter.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope, not clogged, we checked the pressure and it's fine, fuel filter is fine, it's fairly new, also checked the rest of the fuel system plus if it were the fuel filter, or any other part of the fuel system i'd be able to see/hear/feel other symptoms, rough idle, rough driving, etc., this ONLY occurs when i get to 5 grand.

anyone ever had this problem? personally i haven't, but then again i'm a honda guy, actually to be more specific, an accord guy, so i dunno, but we were guessing it's the ecu (bad fuel map or actual physical damage) But it's wierd because everything else on the car is perfectly fine, doesn't idle rough (after the tune up) or anything like that...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Mates S13 Silvia would do this and indeed it was the fuel pump. It would seem fine, then when you're hammering it the thing would buck when it got to around 4500rpm and was starved of fuel.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmmm, thanks for the input justcallmefrank, i'll have to check on that, a bad fuel pump is better than a bad ecu! I figured if it was part of the fuel system, we'd be able to tell at other rpm's or while just driving it around, or that maybe it'd throw a code, but guess not!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it ended up being a rip in the intake :shock: which was causing the engine to lean out real bad so the engine would shut off, ended up throwing a rod because of that, it's all good though, she's now running a 6m.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts