Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any1 here ever buy a kit like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46098&item=2428181967 I'm considering buying a kit like this because I think my original grounds are causing problems like my car acts like the o2 sensor is broke but if I take a voltmeter to it it gives correct readings and for the last 2 years my oil pressure sending unit has quit working(i've tried 2 new ones and 1 used one and none of them worked). When i ground the unit to the frame with a short wire the gauge in the dash starts working again. The kit is only around $40 shipped and my grounds on the engine and transmission are falling apart anyways so I think I might give a kit like this a shot.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Those kits work good. I've done the same thing on a few cars, just not with the "kit". Just using some aw10 wire to daisy chain along different ground points. It definitely helps on an older car. I've had two that dimmed the lights at idle, and this cured the problem. Also did this on my buddy's ae86 which had some hesitation problems. Fixed it right up. The stock grounds get brittle and lose conductivity with time. This is always a worthwile upgrade.

Christian

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I did the same thing basically. There is a long stud on the engine block right behind the A/C compressor. I ran a 4 guage wire from the negative battery terminal to there an then another 4ga to the intake manifold and another 4ga to the frame. Then on the other side of the enigine I ran a 4ga from one of the exhaust manifold bolts to the firewall. Its not pretty like one of thoses kits but it does the job.

·
Registered
183 Posts
How many

How many grounds should there be on an XX? I think I need to do mine as well.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know right now I have 5. They all look like they may be 10 or 12 gauge wire(black with a yellow stripe)

·
Premium Member
5,574 Posts
Check out July '03 issue of Turbo & High-Tech Performance. They dynoed a new 350Z before and after installing a ground wire set.
Peak power rose by 3.8hp and peak torque rose by 2.8lb/ft. They measured the best hp gain of 4.8 at 5100rpm and best torque gain of 5.8 at 5400!
They also reported better throttle response and a better idle quality.
And that's on a new car! Imagine how much it'd help our old beaters.
They tested a brand called HYPER GROUND from Sun Overseas Trading, Inc and listed the phone #714 708-7733

·
Premium Member
5,574 Posts
BTW, the mag article says they've tested six different vehicles and each and every one has gained hp.
I added an extra ground wire from my batt to the block and frame on my 86 which is a midwest car with some corrosion and it made a noticeable difference. My 85's are both Nevada desert cars with no corrosion, but I am going to do them, too, since seeing that it even helps a new car.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just won a kit just like the one I linked up above except its blue and hopefully I will have it by this weekend to install :D

·
Registered
793 Posts
Call me ignorant, but how does grounding add hp?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Good question, I don't know but I have (I think) a somewhat educated guess as to why. Better and cleaner ground signal should improve your spark. Your engine also won't be working as hard running the alternator to supply increased power needed to get a clean signal to all the cars electronics.

My simplified way of looking at it is it only has X amount of energy, the less it has to give to Y the more is available for Z... Z = HP(woo =))

Of course, anyone with a correct answer to put me in my place is welcome.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Also, not having proper grounds will cause your sensor readings to be off. In effect you're not gaining HP, but getting some back that was lost due to incorrect sensor readings which lead to improper fuel trimming.

Christian

D

·
0 Posts
Hey Ya'll the reason why you need a good ground is the resistance. When you have a resistance, it drops the voltage and current from the battery. This of coarse creates dim lights etc.. Corosion between the connection and ground is like putting a giant resistor across the battery.

Dick B. :D :D

·
Premium Member
5,574 Posts
You are all correct. Power in watts is Electromotive Force in volts times current in amperes and Ohms Law has E=IxR, I=E/R, R=E/I, so if your resistance increases from corrosion, aging, poor grounding, etc, and you have a set voltage your current would therefore decrease because you can't get something from nothing. So decreasing the resistance by adding a better path for current flow will give you a more efficient system. Less work on the charging system, cleaner and more accurate signals to and from sensors and electronic controls.
BTW, I heard that smoke actually makes electronics things work - everytime you let the smoke out they quit working and need replacing.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I hate it when the magic smoke gets out. Last time it happened I needed to buy a new motherboad. =)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I got some large gage wire at my local stereo shop, and followed all the ground paths in the engine bay, and my cruise control has started working all the time now. It was hit and miss before. Eventually, I will bring it in to the computer. The old grounds get corroded, break strands from vibration, and were generally too small to begin with. I had heard that it made a difference, and it does.

·
Registered
793 Posts
4SFED said:
You are all correct. Power in watts is Electromotive Force in volts times current in amperes and Ohms Law has E=IxR, I=E/R, R=E/I, so if your resistance increases from corrosion, aging, poor grounding, etc, and you have a set voltage your current would therefore decrease because you can't get something from nothing. So decreasing the resistance by adding a better path for current flow will give you a more efficient system. Less work on the charging system, cleaner and more accurate signals to and from sensors and electronic controls.
BTW, I heard that smoke actually makes electronics things work - everytime you let the smoke out they quit working and need replacing.
LOL to the smoke thing. Glad to see you on CS finally, not too much action on GLS.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I spent about $10 at Home Depot. I got 15 or 20 feet of plain black 10 gauge multi-strand cabling, a crimping tool, and two packs (one bigger, one smaller) of crimp-on terminals.

Sadly, to be honest, I felt no differences.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Try a 4 or 6 Ga. wire and you will see a difference. The wire I got at the stereo shop is very supple and easy to work with. They even put the connectors on for me. I replaced my battery with a dry cell type that had terminals on top, and the screw on terminals on the front. I ran a ground from the front terminal, and followed all the stock ground points to the chassis, and the head of the motor. I still have to do the main ground that goes under the car, and also one into the car to the computer. It has still made a difference, and I haven't even polished all the grounding points yet so it will get even better. The screws were long enough, so I left the factory grounds in place.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Resistance

What is the ideal resistance between body and battery, I know 0 is best, but what are people usually getting?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts