Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1983 Toyota Supra P-Type
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, just picked up a MK2 that was supposedly garaged for quite some time, drove it home from two states away and the second I got home started seeing problem after problem. Anyway, right now when I drive it, if I put any actual load on the engine, it hesitates and wont rev. It will rev in neutral all day long to redline, but if I try to do say a third gear pull to 6 or even 5k rpm it simply wont. if I crack the throttle more than barely it wont rev under load. Recently replaced plugs, wires, ignition coil, igniter, oil, air filter. So after dealing with my ignition problems, perhaps she isnt getting fuel? Maybe the TPS is bad? Input appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,023 Posts
BOYEE! That really sounds like fuel issue!
External fuel pump and a little tiny screen is involved. '82-'83 same way. Fuel filter.
I really hope that the injectors are not all clogged UP.
Probably have bad gasoline as well.
My '84 has a 3/8 " square drive drain plug to drain the fuel. Look out! It comes out like a fire hose!

·
Registered
1983 Toyota Supra P-Type
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes should have mentioned, it has a brand new fuel filter the previous owner installed not weeks before he sold it to me, and I've had the tank flushed and gone through about 6 full tanks since that, so my assumption then would be that an injector(s) are clogged/leaking, which sucks because its a cramped mess around the fuel rail.

·
Premium Member
6,023 Posts
Don't forget about the little screen.

·
Registered
1983 Toyota Supra P-Type
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now that I think about it, when the tank was out, the screen was... gone? Thats probably not good but I dont think that would clog up the system?

·
Premium Member
6,023 Posts
Perhaps the OP was thinking, The filter will do it's job.

·
Registered
972 Posts
As ddd228 mentioned there is a little inline filter. This is not the one that is supposed to be in the fuel tank.
This one is located on the inlet of the external fuel pump that is underneath the rear of the car on 1982 and 1983 cars. This one is not really obvious.

So there should be a total of 3 filters.

The 'Coffee Filter' on the inlet of the external fuel pump on the top of the diagram. The large fuel filter under the EFI manifold in the engine compartment at the bottom of the diagram.

The 'Coffee Filter' is very small so it wouldn't take much to plug the filter, especially if the In-Tank sock filter is missing.

In Tank Fuel Filter.

I thought I would help to see what all three filters look like. Only the 1982 and 1983 cars have the 'Coffee Filter' so I didn't know what to look for the first time I looked for it.

Dale

Reactions: Zoe and ddd228
1 - 7 of 7 Posts