Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just recently bought an 85 mkII, and when i took it in to get emmissions and inspections, the guy who did it was telling me that my engine was a 3.0L. now, i know that the 85 came stock with a 2.8L, but there are no markings anywhere on mine that show it could be a 3.0L. how can i tell what the engine is? is there any way to find out if it is really a 5MGE or not?

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Your engine "could" be a 6MGE transplant - which is a Japanese import motor. Looks just like a 5MGE, but the displacement is 3.0 liters. The 6MGE was never factory installed in the MkII Supra however. On the side of the block there will be a stamp that says 6M. See image below:

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm, i can't seem to find that and i don't want to jack it up and look underneath. so is there any distinct differences between the 6mge and the 5mge? like.. can i just look at the engine and tell? or no? if there aren't any differences like that i'll jack it up later and check.

<edit>
i just noticed as i was looking at pictures of 5mge engines. on the intake plenium it just says "EFI". on my intake plenium, in my mkII, it says "3000". could that identify it as a 6mge?

·
Registered
290 Posts
The stamp is right next to the oil filter on the passengers side of the block

·
Premium Member
8,443 Posts
Unless someone installed a 3000 intake then you have a 6m :wink:

no7 said:
like that i'll jack it up later and check.
<edit>
i just noticed as i was looking at pictures of 5mge engines. on the intake plenium it just says "EFI". on my intake plenium, in my mkII, it says "3000". could that identify it as a 6mge?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
okay. i just changed the oil and the filter.. and what do you know. it says "6M". so that means i have a 6mge, right?

with that said, what is the difference? all that i know the engine has a crank from a 7m. (learned that from this site). is there any other information on the 6mge engine? is my car special?

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Correct. The 3000 on the intake and the 6M on the block means the emissions guy was right. You have a 3.0 liter 6MGE transplanted in your car.

Your car originally came with a 5MGE installed. You have 190 hp (stock) and has 9.2:1 compression - with the additional displacement you also have a higher compression ratio vs. the stock 5MGE.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
well, the 6mge makes a bit better power, about 190 hp stock, if everythings just right.
most imported ones seem to make a bit less, probably due to the octane rating, and the different ECU being used.

it displaces 3.0 liters... think the intake plenum is a bit better designed, it doesnt have the EGR system factory installed...

hmm, i cant think of any other differences.

bit longer stroke and a slightly larger bore account for the displacement change.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
alright. well thanks for the info. another thing i was wondering is.. what year was the first year they made them? is there any way to tell how old my engine is?

<edit>
what octane should i use?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I have that same engine...if the engine is a good 1 that sucker should be quite fast. Its like an extra 30 hp .

I use 94 octane. I wouldn't go below 92 because of the compression.

Later
Mark

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh yeah, its really fast compared to many people i know. (except for that dumb kid with a 5.0 mustang)

anyway, thanks for the information. that means i have to get a job so i can pay for premium gas. hehe

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
having a job generally comes in handy when you own a car, for tune ups, tires, brake jobs.... ect ect ect...

just ask anyone here, its a 20ish year old car, things crop up that need to be fixed :)

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
dogstar said:
bit longer stroke and a slightly larger bore account for the displacement change.
The extra displacement comes from the longer stroke alone; the bore is exactly the same.

Also, the 6M crank is not the same as the 7M crank, but it is similar and the stroke is the same.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
ah, i knew someone would catch me if i goofed that one... and here i always thought the 6m had a bit larger bore, whoops!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts