Toyota Celica Supra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a bit of trouble with my 83, it seems to be missing through all the rpms. It seems to be an irregular miss, too. I can tell it is way down on power :mad: . Here is what I have done to try and correct it: new fuel filter, checked injectors, distributer rotor, checked cam position and timing, new plugs and wires. I really don't know what it could be that is causing this, if anyone could help I would really appreciate your thoughts and imput!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Has the car ever sat for long periods of time without running(years...) Mine had a miss that noone could figure out till I pulled my valve covers off and found that one of my rocker arms(intake side) fell out of place because of a stuck valve. It sat for about 2 years before I bought it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mine did sit awhile before i bought it. But it ran fine untill a couple of weeks ago, did your car miss when you bought it, or was it after you had been driving it for awhile?

·
Registered
290 Posts
My dad always told me it had a miss from the day we test drove it but since we planned on rebuilding it, I got the car anyways. Maybe you should check the compression on all cylinders. Has your exhaust changed(smoke or smells)?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
exhaust really didn't change. I guess I can take the valve cover off just to look. thanks for your imput

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, I kinda figured out why it was missing, but not totally. I have figured out that the #5 cylinder is completly dead and the #6 is on and off (thats why it is an irregular miss). But I don't know why they are dead. Compression is good and it gets fuel and spark. So I am stumped! what could this be??

·
Registered
290 Posts
If every cylinder is getting gas and spark and everything was in place when you looked under the valve covers, I'm stumped too :? Too bad noone else seems to have any input in this matter.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Are all 6 cylinders getting spark? What I am getting at is maybe your distributor cap and or rotor are bad. Or it could be an ignitor problem. I would replace the cap/rotor anyhow, it is inexpensive and you already did the wires and plugs.

·
Premium Member
5,572 Posts
So when your car is running, you can pull the plug wires off 5 and 6 and there is no change in it because those cylinders are already dead? What did the compression read? About 160psi and all cylinders w/i 15psi of one another? I know you've probably checked a bunch of times but make sure 5&6 wires not swapped around. Check the gap on all the plugs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All 6 cylinders are getting spark. And yes I can pull the wires off 5 & 6 and the engine doesn't change. gaps are set right, rotor and cap are new. wires are in the right spots. Compression was the same all 6 cylinders (really close). I just don't know what it is.

·
Registered
417 Posts
From my experince with Toyota's. You need to make sure you use the correct wires. I've fixed many cars. That had a miss. Even those who have done all the regular maintance items like you. By just replacing the plug wires with stock Toyota wires. The Toyota wires are the correct ohm resistance. And most of the aftermarket wires don't. Some will last but most won't. If you do not have Toyota wires. Get some and see if this fixes it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts